PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
A friend over at the DGCF picked up this Comoy because it is similar to a Grabow shape 25 which are quite hard to come by. When he tried to remove the stem then tenon snapped. When he posted about the pipe I jokingly told him he should put a Grabow "Ajustomatic" in it.He responded that he didn't think he could do that and asked who might be able to do it. Me says I,so he sent me the pipe and as payment he sent a Cigar pipe. First pic is of the stem and the Ajustomatic tenon. In the second pic,both parts of the Ajusto have been installed and trial fitted. Stem to shank registration was off which required sanding both to correct,and also caused most of the stamping to be lost.Since he prefers rusticated pipe and the stampings were sanded away I asked him if he would like it rusticated.Didn't use any stain but did give the rusticated areas a coat of shellac to give that area some shine-pic 3. Also reworked the rim to replicate the rim of a Grabow 25.He hasn't seen the pipe yet,just sent it back to him yesterday.I only sent him one pic-the third one below.

2011-12-20-003-1280x960-600x450.jpg

seans-comoy-everyman-2011-12-21-003-1280x960-1280x960-600x450.jpg

seansa-comoy-2011-12-27-001-1280x960-600x450.jpg

seansa-comoy-2011-12-27-002-1280x960-600x450.jpg

bob1

Lurker
Dec 15, 2011
That is one fine pipe.

How many hours would you say you have into it?
Very Nice Work!

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Thanks Gents! I hope he likes it!
Bob1, I'd say I put about 6 hours into the pipe,but then I'm kinda old and kinda slow!

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Thanks Gents,glad you like it!
Al,I recently dropped a DR. G. bulldog in my garage and the bowl snapped clean off. I epoxied it back together.Didn't get it aligned perfectly but it still smokes great. Id' have made a tamper from it but it is one of my favorite smokers!
Shaintiques,if you get a Dremel,look around Ebay and buy some small dental burs size 029 or smaller are the sizes I prefer. Especially like the inverted cone burs,which is what I used on this pipe.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Al,I recently dropped a DR. G. bulldog in my garage and the bowl snapped clean off. I epoxied it back together.Didn't get it aligned perfectly but it still smokes great. Id' have made a tamper from it but it is one of my favorite smokers!

Ok, your new nickname is "The Dr. of the Dr."! Pipes just don't drop well, do they? I'm glad you saved it! I was smoking my Dr. G doggie the other day, that thin stem is just lovely to hold in your mouth.

bob1

Lurker
Dec 15, 2011
6 hours or 16 hours, the end result speaks for itself!
I am new to pipe smoking, and I was wondering if there is a trade name for that type of bowl cut along the top?
What craftsmanship.
Did you use a Dremel w some type of ball tip drill bit for rustication?
Thank you

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
bob1, I used a Dremel with a flex shaft for the rustication . Used this style of burs--

capture-600x190.jpg

As for the rim,don't know that there is a name for that-could be. Back in the 70'd Grabow made a line of pipe called "Continentals". They were trying to create shapes similar to what what coming out of Europe,especially the Danish pipes. Some of the "Continentals" used a rim like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.