Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
All,
I know I am new here, and I hope this doesn't come off as brazen. In the recent thread "very sad news" that discussed the unfortunate passing of fishnbanjo (Sante Giuliani), a legend on this forum and class act, the idea was floated by a forum member to rename the "What are you smoking?" Thread to "Keep it Smokey" or "Keeping it Smokey" to honor a man who was such a powerful and perennial presence on this forum, and always delighted us with his posts of him enjoying his extensive pipe collection. Many other members (myself included) voiced immediate and emphatic support for the idea. Although I only got to interact with him for a short time here, his presence made an impact on me and his contributions were very valuable.
I am not expecting anything out of this thread other than friendly and respectful conversation from some of the more long time forum members and/or mods (and n00bs like me, too) regarding their thoughts on renaming the thread. Even if it were something along the lines of "Keep it Smokey: What are you smoking?" it still seems like it would be a great tribute to a man who's presence should always be remembered here.
It wouldn't hurt to encourage some ongoing "banjo pics" of members keeping it smokey as well 8) :puffpipe:
If you are not a fan of this idea, but have other thoughts about a good way to honor fishnbanjo long term, please feel free to share your thoughts as well.
Again, I hope this doesn't come off as too forward or suggestive for a n00b, as I know many of you knew him for much much longer than I did. I just felt the idea deserved a second glance.
Thanks all and KIS!!! (Keep it smokey)
Frank

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Nothing wrong with putting forth an idea if your post count is under a certain number, an idea is an idea. I like the idea of changing the monthly thread title to honour banjo. He helped out many people on this forum as well as fuel many a PAD session.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think it would have to be something like "What Are You Smoking? Keeping It Smokey," to make it clear what the thread is about. I absolutely vote yes to doing this or something else good in tribute to Sante. Just want it to work well. Newcomers wouldn't know what "Keeping It Smokey" by itself meant, and we have to keep those newcomers participating.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Newcomers wouldn't know what "Keeping It Smokey" by itself meant, and we have to keep those newcomers participating.
This was the only detriment I could think of as well, and I agree, as long as it is titled appropriately I think it would work.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Using Sante's user name might be a little mysterious, whereas "What Are You Smoking? Keeping It Smokey" requires no backstory knowledge. I suspect mention of, and stories about Sante will linger in various different threads, so he will hardly go forgotten. Also, jiminks is a major factor in "What Are You Smoking," so we don't want to displace him. I know all the lore on this, so won't contest anything that's done, but I want it to be as "just right" as possible, so I'm making suggestions. Newcomers are important, so we need to keep Forums user friendly.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I don't ever recall seeing a "What Are You Smoking" post from Sante (fishnbanjo). I would like to see a "Keeping It Smokey With My Pipe" thread where members post a photo of themselves smoking a new or favorite pipe. Similar to the posts we all came to enjoy from Sante. If people really wanted to honor him...wear a cap and sunglasses.
I definitely would like to see some sort of "fishnbanjo memorial on the site...just not sure what.
In the end, isn't it all up to Kevin?

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Using Sante's user name might be a little mysterious, whereas "What Are You Smoking? Keeping It Smokey" requires no backstory
I agree with this. I think something along the lines of "Keeping it Smokey: What are you smoking?" or the reverse, would be ideal.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I would like to see a "Keeping It Smokey With My Pipe" thread where members post a photo of themselves smoking a new or favorite pipe.
I think this would be a fun thread as well, and certainly a more fitting tribute, but I can't help but wonder if it would get enough traffic to keep it constantly alive, since taking, uploading, and posting a photo takes so much more time/effort, whereas the simple what are you smoking thread is something that will likely never die.
I certainly would give it a shot though, it sounds like fun to me.
And yes, I'm sure Kevin has the final say, but I thought it would be fun to discuss, and hopefully give him some ammo for any decision he may be inclined to make on the subject (which I'm fully aware, may be to leave it as is).

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I didn't think about the jiminks issue. It should be named for him when he kicks, or maybe when he just starts drooling on himself.

That's a very good point.

lifesizehobbit

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
I would love to see a Fishnbanjo tribute thread or section wherever it's appropriate. I like the idea of adding pics, but not a requirement for the thread.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think the ongoing thread with selfies of members smoking pipes is also a good idea.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Don't forget there is an upcoming event of similar nature.
July 5th will be the 3rd annual Fishnbanjo Day, a spectacle unto itself.
1st Annual Fishnbanjo Day Thread
2nd Annual Fishnbanjo Day Thread
You still have a couple of weeks to scout out a new cap for the occasion!
jay-roger.jpg

Last edited:

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I participated last year and I will definitely participate this year. I need to get a pair of sunglasses.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Sante used to post in the WAYS threads on forums some years back. As to renaming it, I'm not the least bothered by it.

Status
Not open for further replies.