PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Wade H

Lurker
Jan 13, 2020
Glendale Arizona
Would the material of the pipe make any difference in this? I don't know whether the answer's simple or obvious, I don't really have a mind for these sort of 'heat expands shank, which direction does the pressure...' physics demonstrations but I did consider whether meerschaum might be less susceptible than wood?

My issue, aside from wanting to clean after use but also wanting to smoke before bed, is using a pipe cleaner to absorb moisture that quite often builds because I'm not the driest of smokers and favour bent pipes. I've been advised of that solution but I've also been advised not to remove the stem while it's warm.

Just hoping that perhaps meerschaum doesn't expand/contract like briar thus lessening the issue; definitely don't want to take chances with my meer though!
David, both the mortise and tenon, of a meerschaum pipe, are made from Teflon. Since Teflon has near zero thermo reactivity, it is safe to remove the stem while the pipe is still warm, without causing any damage. Always remove and replace the stem by twisting the stem clockwise. This will prevent the mortise from unscrewing from the shank. Unnecessarily unscrewing the mortise can cause excessive wear to the threads in the meerschaum pipes shank.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
This discussion will continue as it has for years. More than several Forums members have said they remove the stem from a pipe while it is still warm from smoking and it has never done any harm. Others think it is judicious and wise not to test the briar and stem when they are warm. Since waiting for a pipe to cool doesn't seem like much of a chore, I'd error on the side of caution, but if circumstances put me under pressure, I'd go ahead and hope these guys are right.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I removed a stem while the pipe was hot one time and it got incredibly loose-fitting after that.

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
Never while hot but I remove them warm daily, never had a problem.

BUT, if one comes up loose I would probably never do it again lol

• Haha
Reactions: BROBS

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
What's the hurry? It takes less than an hour for the pipe to cool. Why must it be cleaned immediately after going out?

Unless you're in the trenches and need to put it away pronto, that is; but that's what they invented military mounts for.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
What's the hurry? It takes less than an hour for the pipe to cool. Why must it be cleaned immediately after going out?

I have two toddlers and live in a small town where we have no family close by to help. The amount of time in a week I get to myself is sometimes measured in minutes. If I don’t get to clean a pipe immediately, it’s often days until I can get to it. I don’t want to let a balsa filter sit for days.

Unless you're in the trenches and need to put it away pronto, that is; but that's what they invented military mounts for.

I discovered that. I got a Sav Dry System, and a few other army mounts besides, to reduce the risk of breaking something.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
My bent Peterson developed a very loose stem because I was in the habit of removing it while the pipe was still hot. That was before I found pipe forums and learnt about these things :eek:

brunot

Might Stick Around
Jul 26, 2017
Slovakia
I wouldn't do it on the regular, just let it cool off. If you're often in situations where you can't afford to wait, get something with an army-mount. Nothing like a sterling silver Peterson spigot when it comes to this!