PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Hera ya go: http://www.autoshocker.com/
Some car dealers use this to get rid of the cigarette smell from used cars. It can also be purchased at Amazon.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Go get a bottle of Doe in Heat deer lure and pour it on your interior. I will guarantee it will no longer smell of smoke.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
We use two products to neutralize biological odors in the hospital. One is called "m9" and it's made by Hollister. That's for spraying on surfaces.
The other is for airborne odors and it's called "CarraFree". It's made by Carrington.
I don't know how effective they would be for tobacco odors. The above recommendations sound good, eg, complete shampoo and wipe down.
BTW, there is a PSA that's played on the radio frequently here that says something to the effect of, "You don't need to be perfect to be a foster parent". I guess guess having the scent of pipe tobacco leaves one very far from perfect. What a repressive society we have become, worse than Victorian and twice as irrational.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
I can understand the logic of not being allowed to smoke while a child is in the car, but someone checking to see if your car smells of tobacco is a going overboard by any stretch of the imagination. But, seeing that this is in California it really doesn't surprise me at all.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
One thing I have always used is instant coffee. I spread a layer of tasters choice on the carpet, leave the car sealed in the sun as long as possible, then vacuum out. It soaks up a lot of the smell and leaves a faint coffee smell.
If all else fails, rub everything down with Hoppe's #9. That's a reek that lingers.

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
Looks like phil67 has a great answer with that link.
I rented a carpet/upholstery cleaner from my hardware store. My pickup has cloth seats and headliner. Rest is plastic. Did an excellent job, but the A/C-heating vents, still smelled. I dumped carpet deodorizing powder in those, also purchased at the hardware story. I don't know WHAT I'm smelling now. Can't place it as tobacco, though. Just smells... like lots of different fresheners.
Other ideas:
- Ask a local motel. They have to deodorize rooms that people violate the "no smoking" rule in.
- Ask a local car dealer. Surely they have trade-ins that they have to deodorize. I don't think I've ever checked out a used car that had smoke-smell in it, yet surely not every used car belonged to a nonsmoker. Right?
Like I said, I did my truck myself, with a steam-cleaner. Cost about $40 to rent it for an hour and get the soap that goes with it (was a four-hour min. rental though I just had it an hour). But next time, I want to ask my car dealer what *they* do.
They *might* even do it for you, for a fee of course. (Though once they removed carpet stains in mine for free, just for good customer relations).
Good luck!

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
Thanks for all the advice guys. I'm going to start small and work my way up tomorrow. I like the pizza idea and my wife is picking me up some Ozium. The worker isn't going to actually do anything but put her nose in and smell and it's actually in her interest and the interest of the kids to give my truck a pass.
This really stresses me out. I will most likely buy another cheap vehicle because I can't imagine driving to work without a smoke, let alone a 3 hour drive to go hunt and fish or camp.
Bullshit law, but I have to play by the rules because it's not me that will be punished.

goldsm

Can't Leave
Dec 10, 2013
Parker+1

And leftover coffee grounds. Let it dry well. Put into the pouch.

Place dash,under seat,any place back and front about 10 or less. Bet will work like a magic.

anglesey

Can't Leave
Jan 15, 2014
I think if you were to try half of the ideas suggested on here you'd be more than fine. What a bollocks law. I bet it's not even a law either, just a 'guideline'

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
bryan, the product that works the best every time is the original scent Ozium. If you spay that crap out of the car when you are done smoking, you will NEVER smell smoke in your car. I have been using it since the 70's. Do not sit in the car after spraying, you will get totally overwhelmed. I spray it on all the rugs and then get the hell out.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
There's a heap of truck deodorizing ideas here. All of the above. After all the rigorous cleaning, which

I think is the key, using the various products mentioned, but as an alternative to the pizza, and after

the instant coffee as a vacuum clean-up compound, a nice big bag of freshly ground coffee beans might

provide the necessary cover to any possible residual pipe tobacco fragrance (odor to the tobacco police).

If you are providing a good home to a foster kid or kids, I think any "inspector" with brains would turn a

blind eye (nose) to your truck. In a turbulent world, anyone who will get a kid off the street and to the

dinner table deserves our warmest encouragement. Good job. (After the inspector goes away, happy we

hope, you can use the coffee, or if you don't drink coffee, give it to someone who does.)

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
+1 Cigarmaster, and what I do is leave the car/truck/golf cart running with the AC running in recycle mode, sometimes called Max Air, windows closed for about 10 - 15 minutes. That way it circulates through out the duct system.

bryanf

Jul 16, 2013
Thanks again guys. instymp- thanks for mentioning the air conditioner set on recycle. I didn't think of that.
I hope to give it a try tonite, but if not- tomorrow night.
Harris- you give me hope that maybe I can smoke in my truck, and no one will notice if I follow up with Ozium!
Hmmm.....would save me some money on the beater car I was going to get!

rangerearthpig

Jan 5, 2014
Go get a bottle of Doe in Heat deer lure and pour it on your interior. I will guarantee it will no longer smell of smoke.
I laughed my ass off....even if nobody else did. :lol:

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Dan recommended:
Have a problem with my son smelling like my pipe when he goes to school. Have yet to try this but it looks promising:

http://www.smokesmellbegone.com/

my advice: save your money. It does nothing for the smell of smoke, but adds the fragrance of the restroom at the bus terminal.

jcsoldit

Lifer
Mar 27, 2010
Wisconsin
+1 for ZORBX...
I smoke 3 bowls (VA) on my drive from Cleveland to Chicago in my (non-smoking)company car, sprayed a light cloud of ZORBX in the car before leaving it in the hotel parking lot for the night. The next morning my non-smoking boss got into the car and never noticed a thing. I've also used it to remove cigar smoke smell from my clothes.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
If you know somebody in the medical field there is a disenfectent they use for smells top notch, Son uses it in the operating room, he told me it will kill any smell. Sorry I don't have the name of it, but I will try to find out.
Yeah I work in the hospital, we use that stuff mainly to get rid of odors like poop and urine, I don't know the name of it, I'll try and remember to check, I'm working tommorrow. I don't know how you'd get it though. Personally I think febreze would be a good bet, then get some of the febreze air fresheners for cars that you clip onto the vents. Also using the baking soda stuff for carpets on the seats and then vacuuming it would be good probably before spraying it down with febreeze.

From doing some simple searching though there's tons of hospital air fresheners, they all work the same, it's just difference in brands basically, the hospitals all use different brands, they just make contracts with companies to use a particular product. Zorbx is one

http://www.zorbx.com/newsite/people_odor_hospital.asp

Metrimist

http://www.metrex.com/faceprotection-accessories-Deodorizer
Personally I'd try the febreeze first and alot of airing out, then try the zorbx if that doesn't work, as a lot of these hospital grade odor killers are hard to find just one bottle of unless you know someone that works in a hospital who is willing to steal one for you.
We actually have a law in place in manitoba canada where it's illegal to smoke in a vehicle if someone 16 and under is in the car with you and you can get a ticket for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.