Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jazzlover

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 15, 2013
Any suggestions on how to remove the shank from a Missouri Meerschaum legend without damaging the bowl or the shank?

snewton

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 18, 2012
UK
Mike, I think he is trying to remove the shank from the bowl, not the stem from the shank. Couldn't tell ya why though. To clean more thoroughly or modify the pipe? or to repair some damage or plug the bottom?

snewton

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 18, 2012
UK
I thoroughly enjoy a good cob but must admit I always get distracted by some lovely piece of briar whilst I am selecting my weapon.

jazzlover

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 15, 2013
I want to remove the shank from the bowl for a fun little project I have in mind.
I'd like to punch out the bottom of the legend to form a cylinder. Then I'm going to glue it to the top of an old MM general I have. That would make it even taller than MM's MacArthur. Then maybe I'll put a pine tar finish over the attached bowls. I might even replace the shank of the general with a bamboo shank and carve a draw whole big enough to accommodate one of MM's new acrylic stems.
This is one of the things I love about MMs. You can create a whole new pipe with a bit of effort and imagination.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Ok mate, I see what you have in mind now. I couldn't understand why u wanted to pull the shank out before. I think you could probably heat it up with a Hair dryer and gently twist it loose, but no gaurentees that it won't damage it.

Status
Not open for further replies.