PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jwussow

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 7, 2021
Pewaukee, Wisconsin
I use the saliva and pipe cleaner method. I do find that my pipes that I use for Virginia blends have a higher buildup. I am assuming it is because of the sugar content. I have no issues whatsoever with my pipes that I use for Burley blends or English blends.

Papamique

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 11, 2020
I hawk a lugie and roll it in a ball and then stretch it across the rim like silly putty. Let it sit for about 10 minutes and then scrub with a paper towel for half hour. Usually just a light brown mark left but I can’t be sure if it’s left over carbon or tar from my lugie. Of course I’m just kidding. Really, I piss on a rag and then lightly scrub the rim with the urine. Works like a charm and then I rub it under my privates to shine it up.

OR I just use a wet micro fiber cloth.

what? Too far?

on a side note: I’ve been sober for 21 years this October.

• Haha
Reactions: ThermionicScott

bayareabriar

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2019
I hawk a lugie and roll it in a ball and then stretch it across the rim like silly putty. Let it sit for about 10 minutes and then scrub with a paper towel for half hour. Usually just a light brown mark left but I can’t be sure if it’s left over carbon or tar from my lugie. Of course I’m just kidding. Really, I piss on a rag and then lightly scrub the rim with the urine. Works like a charm and then I rub it under my privates to shine it up.

OR I just use a wet micro fiber cloth.

what? Too far?

on a side note: I’ve been sober for 21 years this October.
Ahaha. Yeah, that left over brown spot is not from the spit. Lol. Congratulations by the way!

Reactions: Papamique

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Picking up on the suggestion of coffee, it's surprising how well tea cleans, especially oily based dirts. And tea won't stain light colored substrates as much as coffee does. I would guess the tea oils and enzymes help with the cleaning power.

hp
les

Reactions: Papamique

MilesDavis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 16, 2022
I'm going to have to try the coffee/tea solution. Hmmm. I don't have to tell anyone the care we must take in lighting our pipes. I see too many pipes where the smoker was obviously right-handed, because that side of the rim will be charred. I usually start with moist paper towel, then to the AWESOME cleaner and toothbrush, then to AWESOME and 1500-grit sandpaper, then to 190 proof and sandpaper. By that point the finish might be affected. Depending on what I'm doing to the rest of the pipe, I might touch up the rim with a little leather dye, then buff it and wax it. (Sometimes buffing alone will return the color.) In extreme cases, with a very damaged rim, I'll sand the damage away by a millimeter or two, then buff and wax. Did I say "wax"? I think of wax as a protective coating, and as I cycle through my smoking pipes, I will clean and re-wax them, especially the rim.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I see too many pipes where the smoker was obviously right-handed, because that side of the rim will be charred.
That's altogether different and can be entirely avoided. Buildup can just be wiped away, other that physically changing the shape of the pipe and removing briar, charring is there to stay.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
About thirty years ago I was in another lawyer’s office named Ralph, and he smoked a big Danish freehand with a rough, natural top, about like I smoke multiple smooth Lees all day long.

The top part of his big Danish pipe was just a burned and cracked and sorry looking mess.

His wife was about as old as his daughter should have been, and she walked in the office all smiling and he said honey, this lawyer smokes a pipe, too.

She looked at me and said I prefer how Ralph looks with a big freehand clenched in his teeth. I buy him another one each time I think he needs one.

I thought to myself, Ralph has a perfect system of how to replace worn out pipes.

That was about the time this song was current, on the radio.

LILLY’S WHITE LIES

They are still a happy couple today.

Except Ralph must be pushing 90.

Last edited: