PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
The variety of new SKU’s does not mean that more tobacco is being sold, or that the “new” blends are, in fact, new.

The “boutique” pipe tobacco segment that we live in is a very small percentage of overall pipe tobacco sales. The overall market continues to shrink.

STG didn’t close the Lane Ltd plant for nothing.

Reactions: jvnshr

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
It finally petered out. Seems like we are now in a pipe tobacco boom. Maybe it too will cycle back to something more normal. Or maybe I'm just kidding myself.

I don't mean to alarm you, but there's been a new cigar boom going for a couple years, now. An emergent middle class in Asia Pacific plus the millennial/zoomer Instagram crowd.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Still lots of great cigars out there at reasonable prices, if you aren’t fixated on what’s hip and cool. That seems to be what drives the Asian market and the low-funtioning social media accolytes in the US

Reactions: Egg Shen and jvnshr

Brewfan

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 5, 2021
Louisville, KY, USA
I have a friend much younger than me, he was born about the time the 90s cigar boom kicked up (at least when I was aware of it and involved). Out of the blue he decided to start exploring the sticks in December. I went with him to a local cigar shop and helped him figure out how to smoke his very first one (which reminded me why I'm 100% pipes now).

Seems like all things quality tobacco are on the rise. I like it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm partial to Dominican sticks, and I'd try a bundle to keep the price down. It's the prices that steer me away from them in general. I still far prefer a pipe. A cigar is just another change of pace.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
You missed the point. 1 tin of Tobacco provides about 20 pipefuls or 20 smokes. Much more economical that a premium cigar.
Let’s not forget the overwhelming flavors and nuances to be found also in pipe tobacco.

Growing up in America, it’s like at some point, you’ll run into the cigarette, cigar, or pipe smokers and possibly follow those directions, I certainly did.

I started with Cigars in the very beginning of the 90s, and I was buying the premium cigars.

I eventually quit, because the overwhelming tastes to be found in pipe tobacco, cigars couldn’t compete. I also didn’t want to keep dishing out $15-$20 a cigar either.

I’m happy, that back then, in Castro’s day when he was still running, Cuba, I got to experience that culture/history, Cuba at it’s finest. I bought a Cohiba Robusto for $20, an amazing cigar, and holy crap the nicotine, just holding it your mouth, not smoking it, I would get really buzzed with it in my mouth. LOL ?

At least I got to smoke, experience the cigars that Castro himself smoked when he was alive, I’ll always remember it.

If I want a cigar now, I’ll instead buy some of Vincent Manil’s tabac and stuff my pipe with it! ;)

Last edited:

shane1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 30, 2014
Connecticut, USA
It’s strange how it practically disappeared. I still have a humidor and enjoy them but most of my local shops closed down.

Jimmy_Jack

Can't Leave
Jun 24, 2021
Sad part is most non Cuban cigars taste like the ashes from my pipes. I left cigars in the last year for pipes. Had 20+ boxes of Cubans. Sold most and now only smoke pipes. Just lost the taste for cigars.

Jimmy_Jack

Can't Leave
Jun 24, 2021
I remember buying Fuentes for $1.65 . I also smoked La Gloria Cubanas regularly until they became the darlings of the noobs and I couldn't get them anymore here in Colorado. When I visited my relatives down in West Palm I would buy 6 or 8 boxes and bring them home with me. I would sell off 4 boxes and help pay for my airfare. ?
Was this back in the 90s? La Gloria was rolled in Miami then as well as Nicaragua. When I worked at a local cigar store people would exclusively purchase the Miami rolled LaGC. Better made I suppose.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
The cigar boom had died down because the media doesn't talk about it as much and just about all the newbies moved to whatever fad was next. I really don't think the boom died out as much as it plateaued.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Sad part is most non Cuban cigars taste like the ashes from my pipes. I left cigars in the last year for pipes. Had 20+ boxes of Cubans. Sold most and now only smoke pipes. Just lost the taste for cigars.

That was me for the first year I smoked pipes. With the colder weather here, I've actually been smoking cigars exclusively for the last couple weeks until today. I sold a lot of cigars to build my pipe tobacco cellar, including some things I now regret selling.

Reactions: Jimmy_Jack

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
Was this back in the 90s? La Gloria was rolled in Miami then as well as Nicaragua. When I worked at a local cigar store people would exclusively purchase the Miami rolled LaGC. Better made I suppose.
Yup. As far as I remember the boxes I was buying in West Palm were Miami production. After awhile it was even hard to get them in West Palm because they were so popular.

Reactions: Jimmy_Jack