Remember That W.O. Larsen Thousand-Dollar Tobacco?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 27, 2016
Personally, it sounds like something that I would never smoke at any price, but it seems like it had a massive price-cut (shocking) and the r/pipetobacco gang is thinking of doing a group buy for it, and either sending it to a You Tube piper for a review (wut?) , or will decide to split it up among themselves. Splitting it up makes a lot more sense to me, but what do I know?
Here's the link so you can follow along.
https://www.reddit.com/r/PipeTobacco/comments/7pt4kl/help_me_crowdsource_the_most_expensive/
:puffy:

lazar

Can't Leave
May 5, 2015
I'm betting the price will gradually drop even more. They can't have sold many. It's like the Gurkhas of the pipe world.

Jan 8, 2013
I like W.O. Larsen tobaccos but I still thought the $1000.00 blend to be incredibly ridiculous. Seriously, it's just freakin' tobacco! :crazy:

admiral

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2017
There was a vodka with gold flakes in it selling for some ridiculous price.

But sure there are even funnier cases :)

beezer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
Yes. I remember the day this limited edition blend came out. I was struck with the most irresistible TAD attack I've ever encountered. In a matter of minutes I depleted my son's college fund and purchased as much of it as I could. For obvious reasons it created some turbulence in my marriage. My son was forced to join the army as a result and he penned me a letter this past summer during his third tour in Afghanistan to tell me he is no longer angry with me.
By the way...the blend didn't live up to its billing. I ended up giving most away to my pipe club.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Please... I'm a very gullible guy. You can't say something like that and not at least give me a clue that you're kidding?? :nana:

pipeman7

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 21, 2017
Believe it or not it's true. Beezer's actually a member of our pipe club and when after he brought it in one of our members was able to discern that it was actually just a repackaged lane blend they sold in bulk jars in the store. Identical. Lol you can't make this stuff up

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
main-qimg-3682b3245e3515ae6d5ec10ef357c2b1-c

swb118

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 20, 2016
Yes. I remember the day this limited edition blend came out. I was struck with the most irresistible TAD attack I've ever encountered. In a matter of minutes I depleted my son's college fund and purchased as much of it as I could. For obvious reasons it created some turbulence in my marriage. My son was forced to join the army as a result and he penned me a letter this past summer during his third tour in Afghanistan to tell me he is no longer angry with me.
I would make you a fine lasagna dinner with a side of ebola if you had done that to me.

Jan 8, 2013
The review was certainly interesting, and entertaining. Although another reviewer might have a different reaction to the blend it pretty much confirms my opinion... you can't take tobacco, add some weird exotic extract, press it, throw it in a fancy box and expect people to pay $1000.00 for it. Well not most people, anyway.

smittyd

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2018
Pennsylvania
I just watched a review of the most expensive tobacco ever on youtube channel Stuff and Things.....WoW wish i had the money to even consider this stuff

Jun 27, 2016
Honestly I would not have been satisfied if I had spent the money that they did to watch anyone smoke that on the internet, but that's how those forum members wanted to do it. Seems like he formulated most of his opinion before the first bowl was finished, which was not surprising to me. Dude should get out the stamps and envelopes and mail off the rest of that stuff to everyone who chipped in.

lazar

Can't Leave
May 5, 2015
balkisobrains, agreed. I think he made up his mind before he even opened the box, just because it's an aromatic.

Jun 27, 2016
If their ultimate satisfaction was found in seeing that video while not trying it themselves, then it was worth it to them, and I am fine with that too.

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
If I recall correctly a lot of the remaining baccy was being distributed back to the donors.

jeffro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2017
Tobacco cased with what tastes&smells similar insect repelent, Yummy. Where do I line up?

What I can't figure out is who was the target customer that

W.O.Larsen had in mind for this? With the white gloves and fancy humidor box?

Was it the 1% er's that ride around in Rolls-Royce's? :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.