PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Meister Brau was a popularly priced beer brewed in Chicago that had a unique flavor.

It was sold mostly in larger glass bottles, not the 12 ounce kind, and later in cans.

It was pitched down market, so unfortunately it wasn't picked up as a micro-brew

when it ran into financial problems or otherwise went out of business. I haven't seen

it in years, anyway. But it had a fine distinctive flavor. Anyone remember?

rickpal14

Lifer
Jun 9, 2011
Meister Brau!!!!!! Wow that brings back memories....... Most of them not pleasant :roll:
I remember it in the cans, living in upstate NY.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm amazed that Meister Brau made it as far as upstate New York. I thought it was a hometown brew,

the hometown being Chicago. I think a lot of young folks bought it because it was cheap-cheap, and

in time-honored tradition drank too much. But my memory of it was that it had a distinctive and good

flavor. After only having had it from big bottles many years before, I finally tracked it down in the only

packaging available, cans, and it was the low-end of the beer cooler. But I still thought it was an excellent

brew. Maybe it is a matter of nostalgia trumping taste buds, but I took it as my discovering that it was

as good as I remembered it. Though I admit that today I enjoy Pabst, to my wife's dismay.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
I spent some time in Chicago in the early 90's and the go-to cheap brew was Heilemans Old Style. I don't know if they still make it, but all my broke-ass friends and I drank a ton of it. I wouldn't describe it as tasty so much as adequate, it got the job done though. Like others have said, I still crave cheap beer on occasion and then I pick up a sixer of PBR.

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
A liquor store in Dallas had it when I was in college. Drank it a few times.

keith929

Lifer
Nov 23, 2010
Ah yes Meister Brau I consumed it by the case back in the 80s. A welcome alternative to Pabst Blue Ribbon. :lol:

acaciavet

Lurker
Sep 8, 2009
Meister Brau and Bali Hi,1968 USCGC Acacia This is what we drank between paydays on an E3 pay check.

tanless1

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 14, 2010
Used to drink it in california back in the 80's, but then I upgraded to Heny Wienherts(Hanks).

Oh how I remember my days of underage independece, living in a 14' travel trailer.

......I had it all.

badgercat

Might Stick Around
Jul 18, 2011
Meister Brau was a classic "4 college buddies each chipping in for a case" kinda beer. Anyone know if Hamm's is still around?

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Had in here in Birmingham, AL and in Kaneohe Hawaii.

I miss it, and.....

Mickey's Big Mouth.

Mickeys-Malt-Liquor-Bottles-Paper-Label-G-Heileman-Brewing-Company_56846-1.jpg

petergunn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 3, 2013
Almost as bad as Goebel's! Made Black Label and PBR seem like premium brews
hey Goebel's was good stuff and we got Meister Brau in Ohio along with Carlings, Schlitz, Blatz, Rolling Rock and my hometown favorite POC :) But I wasn't really a Beer Connoisseur I favored going to a local Italian farmer's barn with a gal glass jug and $4.00 for a gallon of the best Dago red around.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Maybe the older I get, the better I remember Meister Brau as being. It had that nifty hopsy taste. I imagine, with

too much of it, that taste could come back (or up) to haunt you, but I never tanked up on the stuff. If it were

still around, it might be passed off to the innocent as a distinctive micro brew with a flavor all its own, which

would be true, except for the micro brew part. As a micro brew, it would be named something cute --

Flying Hippo, or Hop to It.

aaronbrill

Might Stick Around
Sep 28, 2012
Badgercat, you bet Hamm's is still around! That and PBR are my go-to cheap beers when I just want to sit down with a no nonsense beer. Don't get me wrong, I love a good import or craft beer as much as anyone, but sometimes a classic is hard to beat! Same with tobacco for me, as I sit here with a cob full of Prince Albert, but drinking a Keweenaw Pick Axe Blonde Ale tonight :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.