PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrew369

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 21, 2013
LOL drinks drunk only by certain religions? As an Irish person with a Catholic dad and Protestant mum I can call pure BS on that one. We will drink anything regardless of origin. :P Sounds like one of those things the "Irish"-Americans who still have the mentality of a 1916 IRA member would say.
And Scotch is wwwaayyy better anyway. ^^

Dec 24, 2012
Murphy's is Catholic and both Guinness and Beamish are Protestant, or so the lore goes. In fact, the Guinness family was protestant and Arthur Guinness referred to Guinness as "Black Protestant Porter". Murphy's was started by a Catholic family in Cork.
I am Catholic, but drink them all (any port in a storm!), though I do prefer Murphy's - not because it's "Catholic" but because I believe it tastes better, however.
The Irish will drink anything. They are non-denominational in that regard.

piperl12

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2012
Jeeze guys this was started out as an incredulas you gotta be kidding listen to the stupid thing I heard today. I didn't think it would go on all week. LOL even my foreman has forgotten about and we had a Guiness tonight :rofl:

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
The Irish will drink anything. They are non-denominational in that regard.

Aye. +1
I've heard that before too from people in the states. In my opinion though Black bush blows Jamieson away along with alot of similarly priced whisky, people compare it to Macallan scotch whisky actually which starts at around 70$ a bottle for the cheapest. I've never had anything more than the regular Jamieson but to me it's overpriced and not that good for an on the rocks whisky.

dryseason91

Can't Leave
Oct 10, 2013
Dublin, Ireland
In my opinion though Black bush blows Jamieson away
+1. That is all.
I've heard of Irish people being denominationally discriminating in what salt they buy. (I think one brand, Saxa, is the 'Catholic' one, and there's some other one that's only for Protestants. Luckily we don't have kosher salt over here as I don't think we could handle the added confusion.) Then there's the old chestnut of Barry's being the 'Catholic' tea and Lyon's the 'Protestant' one - although my mother told me that her father, as a staunch, Catholic Fianna Fáiler, would only drink Lyon's as Barry's was owned by the Fine Gaeler Peter Barry. Heady times indeed.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
Oh, you guys!
Everybody knows that the best sour mash in the world is Jack Daniel’s. Around here we call it Tennessee Tea or Tennessee Sippin' whiskey.
Uh, Ol’ Jack got that recipe from a Scots preacher, so the story goes.
And, yes, Old No. 7 will give you religion!
Now, if you need a little picker upper, there is Gentleman Jack, smooth as a baby’s bottom (sorry for that, but I couldn’t resist).
And if you need to put a whistle in your snort, there is Single Barrel. Too much of the Single Barrel, they say around Lynchburg, and you’ll get both barrels.
‘Nough said. Sermon over.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I always thought "real" whiskey came from Scotland
That would be whisky. On the subject of Jack Daniels I find Jim Bean Black to be superior in every way.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
I had an, "Oh my God!" Moment the first time I tasted Laphroaig. As for the Protestant/Catholic whiskey, I have heard that before.

mikeklumpp

Might Stick Around
Jul 18, 2013
hong kong
used to really like Jack Daniels single barrel - now prefer rum with my pipe when i drink - dark rum on the sweeter side

Status
Not open for further replies.