PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

goldsm

Can't Leave
Dec 10, 2013
When I do smoking major point is RELAX.

https://montereybayholistic.files.wordpress.com/2013/02/relax-for-health.jpg

What I mean is I do not mind light off that much. Sometime I do let it off on purpose.

Let the pipe cool down little bit and relight. It give me a full of tobacco flavor and

I do really enjoy it.

peter70

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2013
I have been in situations, where I did not have a tamper, or usage would not been advised, e.g. while driving. I have the impression, that using your fingers to tamp, gets you immediate feedback, if you are smoking too hot. If you burn your finger in the half second, which you need to press down the ash, the pipe is likely too hot.

shavago

Lurker
May 23, 2014
The Youtube videos don't help much either. I've tried today with my corn cob again and it wouldn't stay lit for more than 5 seconds. Does anybody have any suggestions? I'm almost out of lighter fluid! :D

racerx

Might Stick Around
Feb 21, 2014
Southern California
I agree with what most everyone here has already said. Try packing a little tighter and tamping more frequently.
I think that another problem is that sometimes newer pipe smokers are so excited to try a bunch of different tobaccos that they never stick with one long enough to learn its ways. When you combine that with the fact that different pipes like to be packed differently, because of differences in pipe geometry, airway dimensions, etc. you can see that the variables can go exponential on you quickly.
Pick one tobacco and get to know how it burns in all your pipes. When you've got a handle on it, move to another one if you feel like it. Believe me, there's plenty of time to try everything you want to smoke. It's not a race. If you do this, you'll soon learn to recognize similar cuts and consistencies. You'll pop a new tin of Tobacco Z and think, "Oh, this reminds me of Tobacco X that I tried a couple weeks ago. I know from experience that I should pack this tighter."
If you want a real interesting experience, try smoking some La Brumeuse Semois tobacco. I don't think it's possible to pack that tobacco too tightly! I pack it in my pipes with a wooden dowel and what seems like a ridiculous amount of force and pressure, and it still lights right up and smokes perfectly! You do have to tamp it frequently. It's a real eye opener.
Sorry for the ramble. Hope it all makes sense. My wife is rushing me to leave for dinner....

Status
Not open for further replies.