Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

iowamike

Can't Leave
Nov 14, 2010
Obviously i'm new to pipes and tobacco. I seem to get what i consider a good smoke, however I seem to be relighting about every 5 to 10 minutes. I am mostly smoking 1Q and have an oily bowl at the bottom when finished. If I don't chug and take my time I get no gurgle or bite and the flavor is fantastic. Could this be from the pack, moist tobacco, or my smoking technique? I use the 3 step pack method. I get a little better results from Frog Morton in a different pipe. Switching pipes I seem to get the same results. Is this common enough to not worry about as long as I get a good smoke?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

hilojohnny

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
For me, the number of relights is directly related to how moist the tobacco is....but most importantly, don't let the number of relights worry you....it sounds like you're getting the hang of this business and as you master the slow sipping you'll find more and more of the great flavors!.... :D

collin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
If I catch it when it first starts feeling "weak" and I slowly draw while gently tamping around the bowl one time, (and I do mean "gently"), I can generally avoid another relight.
If I've screwed up the packing 'cause I'm in either a hurry or lazy, or the tobacco is really moist,....I might have to relight it once or twice. So I'd say "Yes" to your question as to what causes it.
Lawrence is dead on,....smoking's kinda like driving a truck with a manual transmission,....it just takes time before you find yourself doing it without even thinking about it.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
Don't worry too much about the relights at this point, there are so many variables which have an effect on the relights...it use to bother me, but there is a guy who does great video's on Youtube and he mentioned in the one I was watching last night about finally getting to the point of not being concerned anymore with relights.

jcsnaps

Lifer
Oct 18, 2010
I'm kinda new to this also and don't find anything "wrong" with fiddling in the bowl and relighting. It gives you something else to do. I usually forget what I'm doing and out it goes, sorta a senior moment thing.

kcvet67

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2010
As long as you're getting a good smoke, don't worry about the relights. It sounds like you're on the right track, the rest will come with practice. 1Q is usually a little too moist for my taste, you might try letting it dry a bit before filling your pipe. Just pull out enough to fill your pipe and let it sit in a small bowl or on a piece of paper for 20 minutes or so before packing. If that helps, experiment with different dryness levels until you find what suits you best. One of the best things about smoking a pipe is that you're the one in control, not some faceless manufacturer. You choose the pipe, you choose the tobacco and you control hows it's packed and how you smoke it. All of these factors have an effect on the final quality and you can experiment with them to find what best suits you. Welcome to a great journey, enjoy the trip.

buck67

Can't Leave
Aug 4, 2010
Little Rock
And what a journey is has been. I've only been smoking a pipe for about 6-7 months. My relights have dropped drastically, due to learning different techniques and just being patient while I smoke.

searock

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2010
Relights are part of the game. 1Q is an aromatic and it naturally smokes a little wet. The kind of pipe you use can make a difference.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I like all the above comments and suggestions. Take the links pstlpkr provided. It will prove very helpful. In the mean time, don't be overly concerned about the number of relights you require. You've already stated what's most important:
I get no gurgle or bite and the flavor is fantastic.
:wink:

flipflopsandshades

Can't Leave
Dec 12, 2010
I am a newbie as well however, I have found if you consciously make an effort to smoke a little slower, the number of relights will diminish. But I still have to relight a couple of times.

onizuka

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 28, 2010
what searock said, relighting is part of the game. The farther I get down the bowl, the more used up match sticks I have laying in the ash tray. Doesn't bother me much, during the time it's not lit, it gives the tobacco a bit of time to cool off or I can go and take a bathroom break. For some reason, all my bowls, even my smallest one, lasts at least 30 min.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I have this theory, and I'd like some opinions about it. This stems from the idea that

a vigorous puffer should move to a stronger or tastier blend -- one that delivers more

oomph per puff, so he can get the satisfaction he needs with less puffing. But in

Iowamike's case, just the opposite might apply.
I think he should consider smoking a milder blend, one that he can sip on continuously,

thereby keeping the ember going. If the tobacco is too flavorful or strong for an

individual, the tendency will be to take a puff, then remove the pipe until a taste bud

recharge is needed. In the mean time, the ember gets weak or goes out altogether.

Whaddya think?

Status
Not open for further replies.