PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Ajsnow93

Might Stick Around
Mar 16, 2021
Larisa, Thessaly, Greece
So... Thus far I've experienced everything a newbie has to come across. And I definitely think that pipe smoking is something really really worth starting up! So I'm really happy with it! But the biggest trouble is relighting. I don't know if this has to do with my packing, but I'm using like 10-12 matches to relight. Also my pipe is a small one and this makes me think if 10 matches for such a small bowl is too much. What do you guys believe?

Reactions: UncleRasta

Pondfisher

Might Stick Around
Dec 23, 2019
East Lansing, MI
At what point in the smoke are you relighting? Almost to the bottom? Half way down? Too tightly packed or too aggressive with the tamper would be my guess.

fightnhampster

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 14, 2019
Indiana
I routinely go through about 12 matches per bowl whether the blend is dry or a little damp and have no issues with bite.

I use to fixate on smoking a bowl with only one light down to a fine white ash but gave up on that years ago. Not worth the headache if you ask me. I buy many a box of Diamond kitchen matches.

My advise would be to use as many matches as you need to as long as you are not getting bitten by the blend. To each his own.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Probably not packing to the right pressure and the tobacco is too wet. However, don't get too caught up in lighting if the smoke you are drawing while the tobacco is lit is coming through nicely and tastes right. Many bowls I burn through with only a 3 or 4 lights. If it is dry ribbon cut or rubbed out flake, maybe 2 or 3. But I also encounter some stubborn ones. It is what it is.

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
It could be that the tobacco is too wet, packing, or both. My technique includes lighting, tamping, and then relighting... if necessary. I can usually get through a bowl in 3-4-5 lights. Sometime more...

I think some underestimate the importance of tamping, which Involves pressing down the ember closer toward the unlit tobacco. This aids in the downward burning process. It is particularly important after the initial light when heat causes the tobacco to rise. There are a lot of YouTube tutorials on packing and lighting, which might be helpful. GL?

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I like how Frank shows in his packing method, even though he uses a Torch Lighter, he relights several times, also emphasizing only a few puffs at a time.

Interesting too how he says not to tamp down inside the chamber.

Also he says, don’t puff to bring the flame back up, instead just relight it.

Last edited:

fightnhampster

Aug 14, 2019
Indiana
There really is alot of "feel" to pipe smoking that comes with much time, trial, and error. The only "right" way to do it is the way that works for you. ;)

On a side note, I think that this is why many new pipers drop the hobby/ habit after a few months. It takes patience, especially when trying different blends from different manufacturers that come in different forms and humidity levels.

Fiddlepiper

Apr 22, 2020
Scotland
www.danielthorpemusic.com
When I first started I was plagued with relights. Now after more experience (not that long compared to most on here) sometimes there are less, sometimes there are very few.

I think trying to find a dryness of tobacco that works for you helps. I don’t like mine crispy but definitely not clumpy.

Also the more bowls you fill the better you get at it.

Perseverance and lack of stress around it helped me a lot. I kept getting bogged down in the technical aspect, once I stopped overthinking it my experience improved exponentially.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
A friend who has years of experiencing useing a pipe said said not to worry about relighting. I tend to light and lay down or get up and do something I forgot about making relighting more prevalent.

And also I sip to taste. producing less of a air intake. Otherwise, I just don't care about how many matches except to make sure I have a container for dispostal.

Worknman

Sep 23, 2019
They say not to worry about relights, but in my experience the more you have to relight the worse it gets. You wind up with a sore tongue and the tobacco doesn't taste as good. By the time it gets towards the bottom its not worth it, I just dump it and call it the end. Of course if you have to relight then go for it as most bowls will require several relights, but the goal is to improve your technique in order to reduce the number of times.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
It takes a while to figure this out. Some tobaccos just go out easily and require numerous relights. Probably in your case I would check to see if you're smoking the tobacco while it is moist. If it is you need to set it out an hour before you smoke it.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy