Relighting After Cooling - So Good, Possibly Bad?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

David_Lawrence

Might Stick Around
Sep 25, 2019
Thanks all around for the responses as always. I have (more than) enough pipes now to not have to repack the same one but it's good to know that it wouldn't be an issue if I did, so long as it's cooled. I couldn't think why that would be a bad thing while relighting the same half smoked bowl long after it had cooled would be, so this makes sense.

@David_Lawrence , please don't take this question the wrong way, but are you getting advice from a clerk at a cigar shop? Some of those guys know what they're talking about, but many do not (even if they claim to have been in the biz forever, they may just have been perpetuating misinformation forever). There's nothing wrong with repacking a pipe after it's cooled. Nothing wrong with relighting hours later other than your tobacco might be a little soggy.

I can't remember where I heard it, not here evidently! Back when I was first getting into pipe smoking last summer, I recall reading/hearing that a pipe should be left at least a day before being re-smoked and that cobs and meerschaums were the exception to this, that being part of their appeal.

As alluded, I had the impression that this was practically the 'first rule of pipe smoking' (with acknowledgement that there are no true "rules", of course).

Take care, all.

EvertonFC

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 5, 2020
Philadelphia
I have to say, this thread has been a game-changer for me. I've been a cigar smoker for 20 years. Probably averaged nearly a stick a day over that period of time. I would never consider relighting a cigar after 15 - 20 minutes and had been treating my pipes the same way, often tossing half an unsmoked bowl because I had been fighting with it too much (poor techniques as far as they eye could see). However, knowing that this is an option has changed my whole approach. I often now smoke a 1/4 bowl at the end of the evening and sip on the bowl on and off the whole next day, until it's time for another. Additionally, as I worry less about relights, it seems everything else is progressing.

Thanks all.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I'm not sure now that you mention it. Do you run a pipe cleaner through before you set it down? I always felt it tasted bad because the tobacco soaked up all the nasty juice at the bottom while sitting.
I only use pipe cleaners after I'm finished smoking the pipe. Dry your tobacco enough, pack it lightly, and smoke it slowly and there will be little to no moisture in the heel.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Probably people packing, tamping, and smoking differently accounts for different results. Results may vary. Various theories and rules work for some and not others. Pipe smoking itself may conjure up rituals and rules that aren't scientifically valid but impel the pipe smoker involved. Don't overthink it, unless you enjoy overthinking!

Apr 26, 2020
Northern California
Probably people packing, tamping, and smoking differently accounts for different results. Results may vary. Various theories and rules work for some and not others. Pipe smoking itself may conjure up rituals and rules that aren't scientifically valid but impel the pipe smoker involved. Don't overthink it, unless you enjoy overthinking!
Well said!

Pipe Daddy

Might Stick Around
Oct 16, 2019
For me, yes I have to put my pipe down sometimes to attend to matters arising. I never let it rest for more than a couple hours because , to me, it loses the taste. If the situation keeps me from returing to a half smoked bowl for very long, I'll just spoon the remainder out and pack it again fresh

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Wait a minute .... Wait a Minute ... w...a..i..t a minute,
you are saying that it is better to smoke a half a pipe ?
That you will get a better .... more gratification and better flavors if you delay the smoking experience.
That you will get more satisfaction is you smoke the bowl in two sittings ?
That is better to have a Jumbo size pipe, so there is always same tobacco left for the "good smoke" ?
You got to be kidding .... but I agree with you !!

Not always better, but never worse!

If the tobacco is dry enough, the heel won't get soggy and taste like shite.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Wait a minute .... Wait a Minute ... w...a..i..t a minute,

You can put your location in your Profile—(please!—because people will forget!) That will save questions in the future as to where you live when you later mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos, wildfires, air quality, etc., etc..
Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details", which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down. Whatever you're comfortable with- town, city, county, state. Just country if you must.

Reactions: edger

stokesdale

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
I recently asked about leaving tobacco, lit or unlit, in the chamber as I'd heard it alluded to as being bad for a pipe. The conclusion was that this must have been in reference to leaving it there for weeks or months as it's perfectly fine to do overnight or for a few hours.

My question and comment is two fold:

1) I smoke about half a bowl on my lunchbreak at work and then finish it at home, some five hours later. What I'm now consistently finding is that it's really, really good - like significantly better than the first half. I wondered what theories people might have on why that is and, more importantly, if there's a way I could harness that same science without leaving a half smoked pipe five hours. I've been ready to write off certain tobaccos as mediocre until finishing the work pipe at home and being struck by how much the taste has improved.

My guess is it's a sort of marinating/stewing process with the oils, if so then I'm mostly curious if lighting then leaving is something others might practise or at least have experienced.

2) What I'm really not understanding is how relighting a cooled pipe can be considered perfectly fine while repacking and smoking a cooled pipe is just about the number one thing you learn not to do, second perhaps only to removing the stem while hot.

If the tobacco in the chamber has likewise cooled all the same then what's the difference?

Cheers.
I put tobacco in a pipe and smoke it; if I can't get to it all at one time (which is often the case especially when I'm in hay-cutting season), I relight it later...in other words, I really don't worry about all this and have never had any issues with my pipes (of which I own about 15 or so), just enjoy it and stop worrying about it.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I think a big part of it is letting your palate rest. So that second half hits your taste buds freshly. Of course you're smoking the tobacco as in the way people smoke meats or other foods too so that seems like it would be tasty. The pipe also probably wicks away the nastier elements in some way that wouldn't happen with a cigar or cigarette. But honestly I've never experienced that myself I find a pipe that's rested with tobacco in it to be somewhat creosote flavored, very lightly but that hint doesn't go well with most blends but far less so then a cigar or cigarette would. That said when I have smoked a bowl that way because of circumstances it's not horrible to me, just not as good as it could be. Also when smoking a pipe the regular way from start to finish I find that with most blends the second half is where it really starts to shine it really seems like that's the point all the flavors marry this is most notable in more complex blends (for my taste that means 2 or three types of leaf generally not just Va or Burly). I honestly hate the delayed gratification because it's means only smoking half a pipe and if I want a half sized smoke I find using a small pipe works the best.
Almost forgot I get my idea it's more of a palate cleanse because I get the best results if I smoke half a bowl and then go drink something or pick something up at the store and then 10-20 minutes later start the pipe up again. Don't think much could have changed that dramatically in that time.

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian