PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

davidsaulmarshall

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 18, 2019
Cambridge, MA
Hey y'all,

I just picked up this lovely Dunhill Shell Briar from 1947 off eBay for 50 pounds. It seems she was someone's favourite smoker because golly this pipe is gunked up! I've refurbished a few estate pipes in the past, so I'm not a total newbie, but I was wondering if any of our old timers (calling @georged) could weigh in on if any damage to the underlying briar on the rim can be seen and how you'd remove all that lava. Other best practices for restoring the pipe in general would also be appreciated!

Original eBay listing here.

Attachments

• s-l1600 (1).jpg
    s-l1600 (1).jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 41
  • s-l1600 (3).jpg
    s-l1600 (3).jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 42
  • s-l1600 (6).jpg
    s-l1600 (6).jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 39
  • s-l1600 (11).jpg
    s-l1600 (11).jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 38
  • s-l1600 (10).jpg
    s-l1600 (10).jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 39
  • s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Hey y'all,

I just picked up this lovely Dunhill Shell Briar from 1947 off eBay for 50 pounds. It seems she was someone's favourite smoker because golly this pipe is gunked up! I've refurbished a few estate pipes in the past, so I'm not a total newbie, but I was wondering if any of our old timers (calling @georged) could weigh in on if any damage to the underlying briar on the rim can be seen and how you'd remove all that lava. Other best practices for restoring the pipe in general would also be appreciated!

Original eBay listing here.

I'm afraid you are deep into true restoration territory with that one (meaning cleaning alone won't be enough to get it looking new again).

Short of re-cutting the entire exterior to remove the "buffer smear-polished" look---something that's possible, but takes special tools and lots of practice---there isn't much that can be done EXCEPT clean the pipe, though.

Too bad that the decades of buffer-smear-polishing (many B&M customers were addicted to the buffer in the back room), wiped out most of the nomenclature. There's nothing at all to be done, there.

The stem looks patchable with blackened G-Flex.

Here's a look at re-cutting a Shell's rim that's in the same condition as yours:

davidsaulmarshall

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 18, 2019
Cambridge, MA
I'm afraid you are deep into true restoration territory with that one (meaning cleaning alone won't be enough to get it looking new again).

Short of re-cutting the entire exterior to remove the "buffer smear-polished" look---something that's possible, but takes special tools and lots of practice---there isn't much that can be done EXCEPT clean the pipe, though.

Too bad that the decades of buffer-smear-polishing (many B&M customers were addicted to the buffer in the back room), wiped out most of the nomenclature. There's nothing at all to be done, there.

The stem looks patchable with blackened G-Flex.

Here's a look at re-cutting a Shell's rim that's in the same condition as yours:

Thanks for the input! the pipe is arriving tomorrow along with some sandpaper, a multi-head reamer, and some oxi-clean. I think I'm going to keep this restoration fairly minimal. Though I'm interested in getting further into the pipe refurbishment scene, I think I'm a bit too inexperienced (and lacking in tools) to attempt a re-texturing of the rim or a stem-patch. My goal for the time being is a good, clean pipe with an in-round bowl. I'm saving this YouTube channel for my next project!

Reactions: Papamique and mingc