PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
Title Edited: Capitals. Please!

Hi guys. Now that the heat is getting stronger. I wanted to make known, this refreshing drink. A very nutritious and healthy drink, very easy to prepare, and I'm sure you will like it very much. It is typical here in my land Andalucia. It is called Gazpacho Andaluz.

ingredients for 4 people:
1kg ripe tomato
1 green bell pepper
1/2 onion (optional)
1 clove of garlic (you can use 2 if you like it strong)
1/2 cucumber
1/2 red bell pepper (optional)
50g of bread (if you let it dry for a couple of days it is better)
25ml vinegar
45ml oil
250ml water
Salt to taste
Easy traditional andalusian gazpacho recipe
Although this is the traditional gazpacho recipe, many people do not use onion or red bell pepper, because they do not like it. We like it better with them, but maybe you like it softer, so we recommend you to try them.

Wash the tomatoes, the 2 peppers and the cucumber.
Cut and chop all the ingredients. It is not necessary to cut them too small, as the blender or food processor you use will surely have enough power. Just peel the onion and garlic clove, tomatoes and peppers is not necessary because at the end we will strain the gazpacho.
Add the chopped ingredients, vinegar, oil and water in the glass.
Blend for 5 minutes at maximum speed. It is important that you blend all the ingredients well so that it has a smooth liquid texture, otherwise there will be lumps.
Taste if it is to your liking and add salt, oil or vinegar if necessary. The first few times you prepare it, it will be a little difficult to find the right point to the gazpacho, so it is better to try it and correct it while blending it.
Strain the gazpacho very well with a fine strainer. In this way, we will remove the skins and possible lumps that may have remained after blending.
Leave in the refrigerator for 1 hour to cool.
Enjoy a refreshing, delicious and nutritious Andalusian gazpacho.
maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I thought it was a soup, not a drink.

I actually made it for the first time a few weeks ago. Superb, but uses way too many tomatoes—inflation and all that. ?

Was gonna try making salmorejo next, but haven't had the time or the ingredients.

• Love
Reactions: JOHN72

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
It is very important that the oil is extra virgin olive oil. The water here has a lot of chlorine aftertaste, we have what is called hard water. So I use bottled water. When you make this recipe, please comment the experience here. If you liked it. Thanks guys.??

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
I thought it was a soup, not a drink.

I actually made it for the first time a few weeks ago. Superb, but uses way too many tomatoes—inflation and all that. ?

Was gonna try making salmorejo next, but haven't had the time or the ingredients.
Yes, it is something like a vegetable soup, to drink cold. Be careful not to make it too thick. Since it is for drinking, not for eating with a spoon.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
How much liquid do you end up with after the straining for the quantity used in your example recipe? Have you tried adding some vodka to make a Bloody Gazpacho?
I was thinking the same thing.

Gazpacho is a very delicious and refreshing cold soup that can be garnished with some fresh crema (or sour cream) or basil chiffonade for that extra razzle dazzle.

I can see gazpacho being versatile as a drink with vodka.

While I know several vocal members don't care for steak marinades, a Bloody Gazpacho would be great paired with either a Bloody Mary or martini marinated steak, bruschetta, or caprese salad. Alternatively, with either shrimp cocktail or ceviche with the Gazpacho acting as the sauce.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
On my list of things to make next weekend - I might yield to @hoosierpipeguy's suggestion and use it as a little eye opener while watching The Open Championship early on Saturday and Sunday, or just "straight", lol.

Looks like something that would be good with beef right off the grill.

It cries out for a little lemon to me, but I haven't tried it yet!

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Yes, it is something like a vegetable soup, to drink cold. Be careful not to make it too thick. Since it is for drinking, not for eating with a spoon.
I actually made it too thin! I halved the ingredients in the recipe because it was for one person only—all of them but the water! D'oh!!

*Olkofri slaps himself around a bit with a large trout

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
@JOHN72 this reminds me that I've been meaning to make Romesco sauce. Is that from your area too? The Spanish seem to have a number of recipes that use old bread. Waste not want not!

Ingredients- Wow. This is a very tasty sauce. I think it originates from the Tarragona area of Spain.
4 ripe tomatoes
2 dried red "goat horn" peppers
3 cloves of garlic
1 teaspoon of Paprika sweet paprika
½ slice toasted bread
1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
4 tablespoons Extra virgin olive oil
30 g unsalted toasted hazelnuts
30 g unsalted toasted almonds
Salt and pepper to taste
Elaboration step by step
The first step is to place the tomatoes and garlic on a baking sheet, spread a little olive oil on the surface and place in a preheated oven at 220 ° C with heat up and down for 15 to 20 minutes.
Remove these ingredients from the oven, let them cool a little so as not to burn and remove all the skin from the tomatoes.
The next step is to remove all the pulp from the peppers getting rid of the skin, then add it in the glass of an electric mixer (manuajunto with peeled tomatoes, garlic cloves, paprika, 1 tablespoon of oil, vinegar, pepper and salt to taste.
We are going to process everything incorporating little by little the oil as we obtain the texture we want, add the bread in small pieces, the almonds and the hazelnuts. Continue processing until a firm, thick consistency is achieved.
Finally, adjust the salt and pepper to your liking. Romesco sauce is perfect to enjoy with vegetables, pasta, seafood, fish and meats.

Jan 27, 2020

Ingredients- Wow. This is a very tasty sauce. I think it originates from the Tarragona area of Spain.
4 ripe tomatoes
2 dried red "goat horn" peppers
3 cloves of garlic
1 teaspoon of Paprika sweet paprika
½ slice toasted bread
1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
4 tablespoons Extra virgin olive oil
30 g unsalted toasted hazelnuts
30 g unsalted toasted almonds
Salt and pepper to taste
Elaboration step by step
The first step is to place the tomatoes and garlic on a baking sheet, spread a little olive oil on the surface and place in a preheated oven at 220 ° C with heat up and down for 15 to 20 minutes.
Remove these ingredients from the oven, let them cool a little so as not to burn and remove all the skin from the tomatoes.
The next step is to remove all the pulp from the peppers getting rid of the skin, then add it in the glass of an electric mixer (manuajunto with peeled tomatoes, garlic cloves, paprika, 1 tablespoon of oil, vinegar, pepper and salt to taste.
We are going to process everything incorporating little by little the oil as we obtain the texture we want, add the bread in small pieces, the almonds and the hazelnuts. Continue processing until a firm, thick consistency is achieved.
Finally, adjust the salt and pepper to your liking. Romesco sauce is perfect to enjoy with vegetables, pasta, seafood, fish and meats.

Thanks John I'm going to try this once my tomatoes and peppers are ready for collection. I started some Txorixero peppers from seeds this year, not sure if they are similar to the "goat horn" peppers but I will look into it.