PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sham

(theSHAMOO)
May 20, 2022
Charlotte, NC
I rubbed in a light coat of olive oil like one commenter had suggested. Should I keep adding until it has a bit more gloss?

Any reference for the different appearances of oils/waxes?

Reactions: Briar Lee

Kirklands

Might Stick Around
Jul 26, 2023
Give it rub with a jewelry polishing cloth until it starts to shine, then give a coat of oil, I use mineral oil.
I too use mineral oil on stummels. It really brightens the wood and has significant advantages: it is cheap, okay for human consumption, does not leave any sticky feel or actual "wetness", and the results seem to last a long time. I've been pleasantly surprised several times when I was thinking of re-staining a pipe, but tried mineral oil instead, and the pipe turned out quite nice. Has anyone had any trouble with mineral oil on briar?

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
I too use mineral oil on stummels. It really brightens the wood and has significant advantages: it is cheap, okay for human consumption, does not leave any sticky feel or actual "wetness", and the results seem to last a long time. I've been pleasantly surprised several times when I was thinking of re-staining a pipe, but tried mineral oil instead, and the pipe turned out quite nice. Has anyone had any trouble with mineral oil on briar?
I use it very sparingly on briar, and I haven't noticed any ill effects.