PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sham

(theSHAMOO)
May 20, 2022
Charlotte, NC
See picture below. I just won the auction on this for ~$13. Only my second briar pipe. What can I do to restore the finish in the scratched areas?

1673542691517.png

Reactions: Smoke Wagon
Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
Looks like what your interpreting as scratches is actually places where the finish is gone because the pipe was smoked too hot. I’d remove the finish completely and polish it. Nice pipe, it’ll clean up nicely!

Briar Tuck

Lifer
Nov 29, 2022
Oregon coast
Some options in order of difficulty:

1. Leave it be.
2. Order a set of stain pens and attempt to touch up those spots.
3. Strip the entire finish and either leave it natural or refinish.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
This is why Kaywoodie today consists of one man making pipes, when before WW2 Kaywoodie sold eleven million pipes a year in 1937.

That’s a very late Kaywoodie Drinkless.

That pipe might have the same number as one made in 1937. It’s no doubt a very nice pipe, still has the inlaid clover, and has the Drinkless fitment.

But when a cheaply varnished pipe gets those specks it’s over, to repair the finish.

Other than smoke a speckled pipe, the one thing to do is strip off that varnish and redo it.

I use grapeseed oil, 4/0 steel wool, Everclear and elbow grease.

This was a Dr Grabow with speckled varnish, once upon a time.

BB3B7F42-1205-4C07-A64D-E8D436517412.jpeg

sham

(theSHAMOO)
May 20, 2022
Charlotte, NC
Thanks for the input! I'll put a couple smokes into it for a few weeks before deciding if I want to refinish. I cant believe I got this for a bid price of $8.88, especially with how much praise I've seen for Kaywoodie on these boards.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Thanks for the input! I'll put a couple smokes into it for a few weeks before deciding if I want to refinish. I cant believe I got this for a bid price of $8.88, especially with how much praise I've seen for Kaywoodie on these boards.
You did get lucky to buy a high condition Kaywoodie for less than $15. Congratulations. You’ll not get many at that price.

Before WW2 Kaywoodie was the most respected brand in America and their five dollar Super Grains and ten dollar Flame Grains used briar that will never again be equaled in a factory pipe for quality and beauty.

You’re very late, likely late 1960s Chimney or Tall Billiard might smoke every bit as good as one made thirty years earlier.

When it comes in, clean it up and post some photos of it. It should have a shape number on the other side.

This 1940s 4 hole stinger Flame Grain 12B (Medium Bulldog) was not well described is the reason I bought it for $25.

27B4F195-8C72-4837-89F9-CAC937AB0F6F.jpeg

Kaywoodies are an addiction.

You’re off to a good start.

Reactions: gnatjulio

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If you remove the finish, you may discover something wonderful like that birdseye on one of the other posts, or you could find only ordinary grain and/or fills and flaws. It's a roll of the dice. I think it looks good with its scratches and all, but that just me. If you take the plunge, I'd be interested in what you find, for better or worse. It's a snappy shape with a good deep chamber, it seems.

sham

(theSHAMOO)
May 20, 2022
Charlotte, NC
Alright guys, I'm here with an update! @Briar Lee I couldn't find a shape number anywhere on the pipe :(

I'm impressed by the absense of any rim or bowl charring, it almost seems unsmoked. A couple things I have questions about. If you see the last pic, the mouthpiece doesnt perfectly line up horizontally (though with some pressure it gets closer than the picture shows). Is there a way to remedy this? Also, the carbon build up in the bowl is unusually smooth. Is this just the result of the sellers cleaning, or is this some sort of coating in the bowl?
If anyone answers these, thanks in advance!

Here are some pictures:
1674062170459.png
1674062188541.png
1674062200650.png
1674062212938.png
1674062224676.png

lraisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 4, 2011
Granite Falls, Washington state
That certainly looks like an unsmoked pipe with a pre-carbonized bowl. The finish may just have been damaged by rattling around in a drawer or something, but I don't care for varnish on a pipe anyway.

If you strip it, you may find a lot of fills. If that's going to bother you, consider a dark stain. As for the misalignment, I believe the "synchro-lock" stem can be adjusted. If it were me, I'd just cut off the stinger!

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
Alright guys, I'm here with an update! @Briar Lee I couldn't find a shape number anywhere on the pipe :(

I'm impressed by the absense of any rim or bowl charring, it almost seems unsmoked. A couple things I have questions about. If you see the last pic, the mouthpiece doesnt perfectly line up horizontally (though with some pressure it gets closer than the picture shows). Is there a way to remedy this? Also, the carbon build up in the bowl is unusually smooth. Is this just the result of the sellers cleaning, or is this some sort of coating in the bowl?
If anyone answers these, thanks in advance!

Here are some pictures:
View attachment 195474
View attachment 195475
View attachment 195476
View attachment 195477
View attachment 195478
Thats an unsmoked pipe, the stem clock is normal. It will straighten out over time. DO NOT torque on it you will over clock it and have whole new set of problems. They came that way because the threads will start to wear pretty quickly and it will line up. I would not cut the stinger off it were mine... KW Synchrostems are not adjustable, Dr Grabow adjustomatic stems are.

Reactions: MattRVA

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
The stem clock is normal for an unused KW. It's designed so that after repeated tightenings, it'll be horizontal one day. And after that, it'll be overclocked. It's not the greatest of designs.

sham

(theSHAMOO)
May 20, 2022
Charlotte, NC
Guys, I did like you all said, and the Kaywoodie looks great! Learned a few things along the way, too.

I soaked the pipe in alcohol, but not much was happening. Come to find out whatever varnish was on there was resistant to alcohol, but was softened up somewhat, so I used the abrasive side of a sponge to easily wipe it off. Soaked it for a few more hours, then spent some time rubbing a dab of olive oil over the grain.

It looks so much better than it did previously. I'll get some pictures and post them here tomorrow if I get a chance.

I did see a few fill ins, but they were not very big.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Guys, I did like you all said, and the Kaywoodie looks great! Learned a few things along the way, too.

I soaked the pipe in alcohol, but not much was happening. Come to find out whatever varnish was on there was resistant to alcohol, but was softened up somewhat, so I used the abrasive side of a sponge to easily wipe it off. Soaked it for a few more hours, then spent some time rubbing a dab of olive oil over the grain.

It looks so much better than it did previously. I'll get some pictures and post them here tomorrow if I get a chance.

I did see a few fill ins, but they were not very big.

In 1964 the United States Surgeon General condemned cigarette smoking, but initial studies revealed pipe only smokers lived a couple of years longer than non smokers.

That drove a boom in pipe making, to where by the time your Kaywoodie was likely made in the late sixties there was no way Kaywoodie or Grabow or Carey could meet demand.

That’s why they let those varnished pipes out the door, it was easier and faster to finish the pipe with varnish.

It will likely need a longer break in period, as well. The pipe makers were using briar as soon as it could be worked.