PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

juptierspipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 27, 2013
Illinois
I got this Boswell freehand a little while ago and love the way it smokes but wasn't to pleased with the finish. All these beautifully finished pipes have been posted lately and I got to looking at mine and it has fantastic grain in it so why not try to bring it out some? I got some product that bowling ally floors are finished with (not only will it shine but be pretty much bullet prof as well) and had it put in a spray can for easy spraying and went at it. Not sure if I like it or not....
Here is before the finish

And here is the new finish

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
Can't see the pics either, but I'm real curious to see how that spray worked...

juptierspipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 27, 2013
Illinois
Thanks eagle for the PM,The first pictures pixcel rate was set WAY to high. Let's try again...
Here's the before the finish,

And now the new finish

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'd be at least somewhat cautious about using random products, like this bowling alley finish, for smoking pipes.

A pipe bowl gets heated and re-heated again and again, and this could prompt it to give off gasses that you

wouldn't necessarily want to inhale. Don't mean to be a nervous nelly. Likely no problem, but with pipes, the

tried and true materials are probably the ones to use. Unfinished briar will develop color and age beautifully.

Bowling alley sealer/varnish, maybe not a great idea.

hodirty

Lifer
Jan 10, 2013
I'm with mso489. Probably not a problem, but you never know. I'd like to see how it turned out though. Good luck with posting the pics.

juozapas

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2010
Barrie,Ontario,CANADA
(taken from the forum admin.)
"It seems that a lot of members are having problems posting pictures. Most of these problems seem to be caused when trying to use pics from your Album in your profile."
Right now I am going to explain how to post pics using an alternative method.
1) You need to sign up to a free picture hosting site such as Photobucket.com.

2) Once you have an account, you can upload your pictures into your album there. You can go into your settings on Photobucket and set the size that you want them to upload as.

3) Upload your pictures to your album in Photobucket.

4) Once your pictures are uploaded, hover the cursor over the pic that you want to show in your post on PipesMagazine and a drop down box will pop up on that pic.

(In that drop down box there will be 4 code links. E-mail & IM, Direct Link, HTML Code, IMG Code).

5) Copy the IMG Code link and paste the link into your post here.

6) When you are finished writing your post and have pasted the IMG Code link, click the Send Post tab to submit your post and when it posts, your picture will be in it.

juptierspipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 27, 2013
Illinois
Thanks dragon ill give it a shot, every other pic I've tried to upload worked with out a problem it's just these particular ones for what ever reason.... :crazy:

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
Looks good! Doesn't look sprayed on to me. Have you noticed any difference when smoking it?

erichbaumer

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
It definitely worked, looks great. I can understand being on the fence about it, as there is a certain attractiveness in a matte finish. I'm sure that's what Boswell was going for, and which is better in this case is, imho, totally subject to preference. But it's simply a gorgeous piece of briar, and I'm sure that the protective qualities of the finish will be much appreciated in the long run. Bravo!

juptierspipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 27, 2013
Illinois
@ghost-I smoked 3 bowls out of it today,the first since the new finish and call me crazy but I think it kept the bowl a little cooler. The heat was not at factor on the new finish at all. I wasn't sure if the product would reactivate and get sticky or tacky again or what. So far so good it's a type of polyurethane so at it cures its hard as concrete.

Status
Not open for further replies.