PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I've never purged and have not had any issues after switching to a high quality butane (I use Vector 14) in any Kiribi or Corona lighters. I've had about 70/30 performance in the past with Xikar lighters but that was with different fuel. I've had mostly bad performance with Colibri lighters. I've got a couple of cheap Vector lighters that I haven't used enough to be able to tell.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Didn’t mention that manufactures want you to purge so they can sell you a new one or repair yours, also the purging decreases the pressure making the seal flex making it prone to leaking, when it’s out you still have vapor pressure on the seal thus not a lot of pressure flunction.

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
tbradsim1 obviously I would defer to your expertise . If lowering pressure by purging would damage the seals, why would not the same result occur when lowering pressure by refrigerating? I really do not think that the manufacturers desire their products to go bad. I realize that there is such thing as "planned obsolescence" but, many of these lighters have decent warranties that would entail manufacturer responsibility.

BTW I realize Colibri is not the same company it once was but, I have a Colibri pipe lighter that is going on 35+ years of service. I also can attest to the necessity of using refined fuel.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
lighter-e1571486888662.jpg

I don't think it matters one way or another how you fill a butane lighter.

I don’t know about you, but every time a new pipe lighter hits the market I buy one. They all work great for about ten minutes, then the fuel tank starts to leak, the flame goes into hibernation, the striker and the flint don’t get along, the finish wears off, etc, etc, etc. I’ve got a drawer full of those sucker punching things! Would somebody please invent a lighter that is as faithful as the family dog?

Status
Not open for further replies.