Recovering from the Flu - Any Tips to Regaining Taste?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeff540

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 25, 2016
Southwest Virginia
Had the flu pretty hard last week, and I'm mostly better other than congestion crud and awful taste/smell alteration that hasn't gotten better. My only taste buds that work are sour/bitter. No sweet, salty, or umami at all. Coffee tastes like canned green beans that were burned on the stove, and the pipe tastes and smells like printer paper burning. Fresh fruit and vegetables tastes like pond water. I haven't dared to try beer :(

Any tips or suggestions for recovering my taste/smell sooner? This is getting awfully tiresome.

troyniss

Can't Leave
Jul 8, 2018
Michigan
Get to 100% first. Smoking will only delay the your own body from recuperating to a normal state. Only time and rest will give you the fortune you seek. If you already have admitted your buds aren't working like they should, than in my book, smoking those few bowls is beating a dead horse.

Reactions: scloyd and Casual

jeff540

Jan 25, 2016
Southwest Virginia
Thanks for the replies. I was feeling much better yesterday, so I decided to try last night, but I couldn't get past a charring light.

Been doing everything I know to speed recovery, just getting impatient (especially for the coffee).

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Get a bottle of saline nose spray and flush your nose every hour and watch how fast you feel better..

Second that, but it won't make taste come back. I am just getting out of a week-long cold, couldn't taste anything. I tried to smoke a couple of times but I ended up dumping the bowl, wasting good tobacco.

anantaandroscoggin

Sep 9, 2017
Greene, Maine, USA
Some years back, a non-smoking guy I used to know who was an Army Reservist, had some trouble with losing his sense of taste. It began when his unit did their 2-weeks at a Canadian base, practicing firing their 155mm artillery. They have no idea if they were exposed to anything. None of them got sick or anything like that.

Last time I heard from him, he still didn't have any sense of taste.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
When you do start back to smoking, try smoking some easy on the palate, like blends with Burley. I think it is good to ease into it.
First tobacco what comes to my mind is this mighty Mixture 79 by Sutliff company,this time tested special mixture seems to offer something to everyone, one can find there mint, alcohol, floral, licorice,all that good stuff, and to crown this all The Mix 79 is refreshing and affordably priced, just a right choice of tobacco for a person whos recovering from Flu

Reactions: Thepipehunter
Status
Not open for further replies.