PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

skagit

Lurker
Jan 27, 2015
I rather enjoy sitting on the front porch and reading while I smoke, and I thought I would pass on an author recommendation in case someone else is looking for something to read.
O. Henry writes almost exclusively in the short story format. His stories are light, witty, and very entertaining (to me at least) while also being very insightful and observant of the human condition. Because the stories are short, you can get through two or three during a 45 minute smoke. Sometime's it's nice to not have a huge emotional or time investment in a book.
The title I'm currently reading is called "Heart of the West"...highly recommended.
So put on your cap, grab your blanket, light up a bowl, and grab some O. Henry.
--Skagit out 8)

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
While at this time it is far too cold in my neck of the woods to sit on the piazza and read, I do find that almost anything written by the late sporting author Nash Buckingham (1880-1971)goes extremely well with a pipe of tobacco and a hot cup of black coffee.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
A Good Year by Peter Mayle. Was a great movie but the movie deviates from the original story which is excellent as well.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
If you like the short-short story and are a sci-fi reader, try Fredric Brown, the O Henry of sf; there are a couple of Brown collections available for Kindle.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I'm a huge fan of Pat McManus. Pat is a prolific humor writer who's stories cover everything from his childhood in Idaho to camping, fishing and getting into trouble with his buddies. I'm not a sportsman but I always find myself crying with laughter as I read his short stories. Highly recommended for a lift of the soul.
http://www.patrickfmcmanus.com/index.html

Status
Not open for further replies.