PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 16, 2020
Cornwall
Hi all since i got into the hobby ive mainly been smoking condor green as it was the only local available pipe tobbaco im now looking to try some other blends and was wondering what recommendations people thought

Kind regards
David

F4RM3R

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 28, 2019
Canada
What do you like about condor? Do you want something similar to that or something wildly different? Do you like the strength of condor or don't mind having something milder or stronger?

Apr 16, 2020
Cornwall
In regards to nic strength I'll probably stay where i am or maybe a milder for the moment as don't want to go over the top.

And i'm open to the type of tobbaco

many thanks

Spinkle

Sep 16, 2019
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
The first tobacco that I tried on a recommendation from an actual tobacconist was Dunhill My Mixture 965. I had only ever tried Captain Black before that. He let me have a whiff of his open tin and I bought 2, haven’t looked back. Luckily it’s still available as Peterson My Mixture 965. This is my experience but I think it’s a good place to start branching out.

Reactions: Sonorisis

badbriar

Oct 17, 2012
Suncoast Florida by the Beach
From reading abut Condor Green, it looks like you either like aromatics, or that is just what was available for you at the time. It seems that many, if not most pipe smokers are in one of two camps - aromatic smokers or non-aromatic smokers. many swing both ways. On the non-aromatic side, there are those who prefer Virginia based blends and then there are the Latakia junkies. So, there are a lot of great choices out there. For English bends, a good start may be some of the Petersons, Squadron Leader (a classic), loads of Pease blends, C&D, Hearth & Home, MacBaren (particularly the HH series) blends and so forth. Lot of great Virginias as well. As judcole said, visit Tobacco Reviews and study / drool over some great options! Best of luck!
BTW - be sure to post your TAD buys!

Mar 13, 2020
missouri
Try the Amphora sampler pack. It'll give you a little bit of everything to try and is a good price / high quality
I really like the Amphora Virginia, so I sure the others are quite good too. I've been meaning to get the sampler but every time I remember, it's after I made the order. Maybe I should just go ahead and stick it in my cart for next time.

Reactions: dcon and gervais
Mar 1, 2014
Hi all since i got into the hobby ive mainly been smoking condor green as it was the only local available pipe tobbaco im now looking to try some other blends and was wondering what recommendations people thought

Kind regards
David

Sounds like you've started with the perfect tobacco and should probably just keep at it (some people are very enthusiastic about Condor).
Joking aside normally the best thing to expand into are Latakia blends (A.K.A. "English" blends) and Perique blends ("Virginia Perique" or "VaPer" blends, which is often bought in bulk and jarred for a few years to ferment into a sweeter form than what you get fresh).

stokesdale

Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
I'm probably going against the grain here, but I would try something completely opposite of Condor Green. If you stick to blends that are similar to Condor Green, you will never be able to find out what else is out there that you may enjoy much better.

Reactions: twoonefive

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
This question gets asked regularly, so here's my oft repeated mantra: Buy only in small quantities for about two years, even the blends you especially like, since your tastes will change -- an ounce of bulk, a pouch, one tin. Explore online retail tobacco pages to learn the range of genres and sample selectively in each. What you don't like, save in a jar and try in a year; again, your tastes will change.

I'd toss out suggestions to try a pouch of Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic; Orlik Golden Sliced Virginia; C&D Stratfordshire English; and Peter Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake. There are zillions of blends out there, many of them good, depending on your own preferences, so read the descriptions carefully and know what constituent tobaccos are in each blend.

gaffersweed

Lurker
May 3, 2020
Condor Green is an Aromatic and one which we don't see here in the US often. Try Orlik Mellow Mixture which is a good aromatic tobacco with mild flavoring but still has natural texture and burning characteristics.

Status
Not open for further replies.