Recommendations on Tobacco and/or Pipe Related Books?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
I don’t know if the online content is active since they stopped publishing. In terms of an up to date perspective keep in mind it’s pipes, not much has changed since the discovery of Briar. The biggest changes is where they are made. The English and Italians march on albeit at a lower capacity, the Danes still rule the high end but the biggest change is the world wide acceptance of boutique carvers in the past 10 to 15 year. Included in that is the Americans and Russians, which were just really beginning 20 years or so and are now highly respected. Tobacco is like food, as long as you have a few chefs you’ll have people finding new ways to use the same ingredients. It’s just that this time they are being chased by government Nazis.

Reactions: diamondback

odobenus

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 15, 2018
Vermont
Here are a few more good ones:
'Pipes--Artisans and Trademarks,' by Jose Manuel Lopes (if you can find this one, GET IT)
'The Illustrated History of the Pipe,' by Alexis Leibaert and Alain Maya
'Pipe--The Art and Lore of a Great Tradition,' by Robin Crole
'The Pipe--A Functional Work of Art' (beautiful coffee table book)
'Scandinavian Pipemakers' by Jan Andersson

odobenus

Dec 15, 2018
Vermont
Richard Hacker wrote a number of books. I would say the info in them is good but his writing style is fairly self aggrandizing
Agreed 100%. I'm wading through his cigar book right now and sometimes I have to put the book down and snort.
Example, pg. 160: "So take a Power Smoke to your next business seminar or dinner. Offer one to your boss. If an associate offers you a Power Smoke, clasp his hand heartily and return the favor. You've got a valuable ally."
Power Smoke! Business seminar! WTF, man. This is when I know I'm not the target demographic.

americaman

May 1, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
I have not read these but they sound interesting:

When Tobacco Was King - Paul Allen

Tobakkonacht: The Antismoking Endgame - Michael McFadden

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
'Pipes--Artisans and Trademarks,' by Jose Manuel Lopes (if you can find this one, GET IT)
I have a copy and don't recommend it unless you can find it CHEAP. By its very nature, it is woefully out of date. The guy's knowledge wasn't that deep to begin with, and you can find better informed and more up-to-date infomation on PIpedia.org and Pipephil.eu for free. Its one saving grace is that it's pretty.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Rebub24

Might Stick Around
Nov 26, 2019
The Pipe: A Functional Work of Art

I picked this book up from Smokingpipes a few months back. It's awesome. Discusses pipes, harvesting briar, carving a pipe, and some of the masters of pipe making

odobenus

Dec 15, 2018
Vermont
I have a copy and don't recommend it unless you can find it CHEAP. By its very nature, it is woefully out of date. The guy's knowledge wasn't that deep to begin with, and you can find better informed and more up-to-date infomation on PIpedia.org and Pipephil.eu for free. Its one saving grace is that it's pretty.
You're entirely right, of course -- it sure is pretty though.

dino

Lifer
Jul 9, 2011
Chicago
All About Tobacco, by Milton M. Sherman, an oldie, but still pertinent and informative.
The Perfect Pipe, by H. Paul Jeffers, rich in illustrations.
The Perfect Smoke, by Fred Hanna, a delightful collection of essays and articles, some from Pipes &Tobaccos magazine and from The Pipe Collector, the magazine of NASPC, the North American Society of Pipe Collectors.
And, of course, a membership-subscription to that NASPC newsletter/magazine.

homesteader

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 7, 2019
"Webber's Guide to Pipes and Pipe Smoking" is a good introduction. "Pipe and Pouch, The Smokers Own Book of Poetry" is a collection of poems featuring smoking in all its forms. It's available as a free download on archive.org.

Status
Not open for further replies.