PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Rastislav

Lurker
Oct 27, 2019
Hello,
I am most open to any suggestions on the various tobacco blend categories to try, so as to learn what‘s out there.
Thank you!

EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title

Last edited by a moderator:

Rastislav

Lurker
Oct 27, 2019
Here are my suggestions :

Straight Virginia-try Mac Barren HH pure Virginia

English/balkan-try hearth&home Blackhouse OR GL pease Westminster

Aromatic-try Three blind moose by 4noggins
Greatly appreciated! I believe I recently acquired the latter two. Looking forward to trying them and your other suggestions.

Reactions: UncleRasta

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
VA: MacBaren HH Pure VA

VA/Perique: RO Firestorm, Escudo

VA/Burley: Cornell and Diehl Briar Fox

Burley: Solani Aged Burley Flake (or Macbaren HH Burley Flake)

English: Seattle Pipe Club Plum Pudding

Balkan: Arango Balkan Supreme

Aromatic: Sutliff Molto Dolce

there are better blends out there but these are all readily available and a great representation of the various blends for beginners.

Rastislav

Lurker
Oct 27, 2019
VA: MacBaren HH Pure VA

VA/Perique: RO Firestorm, Escudo

VA/Burley: Cornell and Diehl Briar Fox

Burley: Solani Aged Burley Flake (or Macbaren HH Burley Flake)

English: Seattle Pipe Club Plum Pudding

Balkan: Arango Balkan Supreme

Aromatic: Sutliff Molto Dolce

there are better blends out there but these are all readily available and a great representation of the various blends for beginners.
Appreciate the samples for each category. Thanks!

Worknman

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 23, 2019
Im of the opinion that a new pipe smoker is best served by smoking something full flavored but not necessarily a punch in the face. For that my favorite is Russ Oullettes Firestorm.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Appreciate the samples for each category. Thanks!

Definitely concur with Frank there. Good choices. Any mild English is probably going to be good, also cube cut burleys -- those two tend to be good cool smokes. Viriginias can tend to be a little hot to new smokers unless smoked carefully.

Oct 20, 2019
As a newbie myself I have been enjoying Peter Stokkebye Kentucky Maroon and Gawith Hoggarth Kendal Jamaican Flake, can’t really tell if you’d like them but give them a try!

Reactions: Rastislav

OlrikFan

Lurker
Oct 27, 2019
I would recommend a classic english mixture with a hearty share of latakia. Some may think it’s a bit too tough on beginners. I don’t. Rattray’s Accountant’s Mixture would be an excellent choise. It has a quite heavy body with some sweetness from the Cavendish, and that softens it without killing the latakia.
It will be as good as your first single malt Whiskey ???

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
I have often seen posts recommending to new smokers blends beloved by experienced smokers. I am not sure that this is indeed the best path. Having 40 +years smoking and a couple of stints running tobacco shops, I think that the ”accidental” way many of us began may be the best method to introduce new smokers and have them develop a palate for pipe tobacco and to discern personal preferences. By this, I mean, grab a pouch or two of a couple of drugstore blends, go to your B/M and get a couple of ounces of 1-Q and their house English, and then gravitate into straight blending components to see what is compromising blended tobacco. Do I smoke 1-Q today? No, but I have smoked a bunch of it and I did not get scared away. Once again, I’ll say that, it is difficult to go by someone else’s taste. You have to find out what you might dislike as well as what you like. Frankly, that is some of the enjoyment of smoking. Just let the adventure begin.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
There’s no right answer to this, of course, but here are a few that I think are typical representatives of the most common genres:

Viriginia: Orlik Golden Sliced, C&D Yorktown
VaPer: Escudo
English: I don’t like Latakia, so I couldn’t say
Aro: Lane 1-Q, C&D Autumn Evening
Burley: Stokkebye 702, Sutliff Edgeworth Match
Cavendish: Lane BCA

bonus recommendation just because I’m smoking it right now: GL Pease Barbary Coast. A burley with a touch of Virginia and Perique, with a light brandy topping.

One of the best things about this hobby is trying new blends once you get a general idea of what basic categories of blends you like the most. Have fun!

oldguyoldpipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 20, 2019
Having just started smoking a pipe about 3 years ago, I would say explore everything when you start and get a feel for what tastes you like. Order up smaller amounts and smoke them several times so that you do not make a judgement after just one smoke. I have found that once your technique improves, tobaccos you thought you disliked sometimes come back into your rotation.
Work on your sipping and slow draw technique because it will open up a lot of different blends.
I do not currently like burleys, but I have started to like the English and Virginia/Periques (VaPers).

If I were starting over, I would try some of these:
Lane Limited BCA
Lane Limited TK-6 (Mild cherry flavor)
Peretti Midnight
Peretti Ebony Cavendish
Peretti Black Virginia
Sutliff Christmas Spice
Orlik Club Mixture
C&D Buffalo Soldier
C&D Blue Ridge
C&D Black Frigate
MacBaren Mixture Scottish Blend (It really is enjoyable when smoked slowly!)

Also, from this forum I was advised to not smoke on an empty stomach if avoidable and to have some chocolate nearby and eat it while smoking to avoid the nicotine spins (I'm talking to you Black Frigate and Buffalo Soldier). It was good advise, both for taste and effect, but maybe not for my waist line or A1C.