PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Pooh-Bah

Can't Leave
Apr 21, 2023
Central Maryland
To my palate, Three Star Blue is roughly equivalent to Revelation Match (both made by Sutliff), but with some amaretto flavoring. Probably could be described as an Aromatic American English.

Reactions: BCF

khiddy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 21, 2024
South Bend, Indiana
blog.hallenius.org
Watch City Cigar Noreaster
Watch City Cigar Old Black Magic
Wilke 191
Wilke Pipemaker’s Choice
McClelland Frog series
Bengal Slices

People love Northwoods but I gave mine away. Way, way too sweet for me.
As the beneficiary of your largesse, I am grateful that there are different tastes! I’m continuing to love the Northwoods.

Reactions: Auxsender

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
Any chocolate note burley that you have around will play nicely with a pinch of blending latakia. Easily blended per bowl and you can make it stronger or weaker if you wish. I dont think that really technically makes it English but its good.

If you dont have blending latakia around you can use a pinch of an English in your cellar that you might find too strong. Then you will have a little oriental and possibly perique in the mix.

khiddy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 21, 2024
South Bend, Indiana
blog.hallenius.org
P&C sells a catch-all blend called "Best of the Rest English" that is the bench scrapings of their English house blends, sold in 1lb bags for $16.99. I bought an initial four pounds (I had a 20% off coupon so I went big), then blended it all together to even it all out, and repackaged in 8oz mylar bags to use as a base for blending experiments. When I get down to about 2.5lbs of base left, I will reorder another 3lbs and re-blend it all together, aiming to keep a consistency of overall flavor for my base.

For my first experiment, I blended 5oz BOTRE with 2oz of Smoker's Pride Vanilla Cavendish and 1oz blending Latakia, ending up with a lovely homage to Boswell's Northwoods. Next time I may split the Vanilla Cavendish with an ounce of SP Whiskey Cavendish to bring out some bourbon-ish notes.

Another blend that I have contemplated is 4oz of BOTRE, 2oz Sutliff TS-19 Turkish, and 2oz blending perique. That should give me a slightly spicy oriental-forward morning blend.

Lots of options for the adventurous and value-oriented home blender.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
To my palate, Three Star Blue is roughly equivalent to Revelation Match (both made by Sutliff), but with some amaretto flavoring. Probably could be described as an Aromatic American English.
I enjoy Three Star Blue and even though they say it's in there, I don't get any Latakia out of it and it doesn't seem English - I like it. I now have some Three Star Royale I haven't tried yet and to me smells of mild English and looking forward to it just to see what it is about.

Danimal92sport

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 7, 2024
Chicago USA
Here’s a hot take; I think the Sutliff EMP match (called Match Sunrise) is an aro-English blend that is only lightly topped. I don’t think the stuff smells or tastes much like Early Morning Pipe, but I do love it. It has only a very light topping, but the sweetness of it and the generous amount of black cavendish makes it a good aromatic-English blend to my taste buds.

Dan

Reactions: AroEnglish