PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

badbriar

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 17, 2012
Suncoast Florida by the Beach
I'm looking to have a go with some crossover blends that lean towards the English side.
My usual preferences are for English, Scottish and Burley blends.
Like to find a few crossovers to try that are a bit stronger with good toppings / casings.
Suggestions appreciated!

khiddy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 21, 2024
South Bend, Indiana
blog.hallenius.org
Boswell's English line (Northwoods, Military Force, Countryside, Railroad Station) are crossovers in my mind, as they all include varying amounts of black Cavendish as part of the blend, bringing a lovely vanilla note to the smoke. I've had Northwoods, Countryside, and Military Force and they are all *really* delicious.

Another to try is Sutliff Count Pulaski. A very (very) subtle anise and fruit note atop a solid light/medium English blend, nothing that sublimates the tobaccos.

[edit: added fruit to CP notes]

Last edited:

hoipolloiglasgow

Oct 14, 2023
United States
Mac Baren Solent is pretty underrated, Esoterica Pembroke is wonderful, LJ Peretti’s Omega has a great licorice topping though maybe not a crossover. There’s many Englishes many wouldn’t consider as a crossover that still smell good and have a strong casing. McConnell’s Latakia Flake is another strong one with a nice sweet, floral, almost Lakeland like topping on it. It’s a really nice, simple blend. I don’t care for Northwoods much so I can’t recommend that one.

• Wow
Reactions: anotherbob

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
LJ Peretti’s Omega has a great licorice topping

Wait what!? I have been a huge fan of Omega for years, and in fact it's probably my favorite (readily available) English -- but I have never noticed this topping! I've frequently said that it has a certain "musty pages" note that I can't quite place ... could that be it?

Reactions: Michigan_Bill

hoipolloiglasgow

Oct 14, 2023
United States
Wait what!? I have been a huge fan of Omega for years, and in fact it's probably my favorite (readily available) English -- but I have never noticed this topping! I've frequently said that it has a certain "musty pages" note that I can't quite place ... could that be it?
Nah, that’s the Latakia with the mustyness. Like I said, not everyone will agree that it’s a crossover, but the 2024 stuff I smoked a bowl of yesterday definitely has a sweet licorice note to it, definitely not tobacco, but trying to compliment it. Has a few other spices to it too, kind of like Peretti’s Royal has, but more sweet licorice/anise forward. Have heard from my daughter that it smells good. Regardless, the stuff is a top notch English. I’m worried that the Sutliff takeover will effect our Peretti’s blends as that is what they are along with their house casings/toppings.

Last edited:

RookieGuy80

Jul 6, 2023
Maryland, United States
Kramer's Blend for Carry Grant is a good one. I've heard Blend for Danny Kaye is just as good only more English than aromatic, but that's second hand. Black Frigate from C&D is a very rummy almost English. I'm currently enjoying a house blend that I'm 90% certain is rebranded Sutliff English Aromatic. That's bulk Eastfarthing. I have liked Voodoo Queen from Sutliff in the past.

Apr 2, 2024
Eastern CT
I tried some Sutliff 504C Aromatic English recently and liked it. I thought I had seen it described as more aromatic and less English, but it seemed the other way around to me. More like an English with some extra subtle sweetness, but your mileage may vary. I liked it much more than HGL.