PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
I have a few candidates for having a sterling silver band installed. Not all of them repairs... I just like the look of a sterling silver band on a pipe (in some cases). Has anyone had this done with great results? If so, who did the work? Thanks in advance...

greysmoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
I think it's a pretty simple task, although I won't try it with my poor coordination. I've had a sterling band repair done on a '69 Dunhill by Mark Tinsky years ago, and both brass and sterling silver bands done recently by Steve Laug of RebornPipes, one to replace pre-existing bands and another to repair a deficiency in the briar. Steve posts detailed photographs of his pipe restoration and repair process on his blog site which make it look easy.

Reactions: Deano

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Like many pipe repair tasks, banding is stupidly easy to do poorly, and stupidly fussy and difficult to do well (meaning 100% shrinkwrap tight, NO GLUE INVOLVED, and hydraulic smooth stem fit after installation).

So, it depends on expectations, the value of the pipe, and so forth.

Just get "up and running?" Fire away. A collectable or have other dollar or sentimental value? Do some research before entering the swamp.

I have seen more botched banding jobs than probably any other. Non-round shanks especially.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Are there any videos on how to put a band on a pipe?

Not that I know of.

I didn't go near the subject on my YouTube channel because of the fractal nature OF the subject. The thousand details to consider, each decision triggering another decision...

Also, ordering bands from suppliers one at a time isn't practical, but neither is having a thousand dollars worth of stepped sizes on hand. (The only middle ground is to enter a world called "chasing"---the hammering of a metal part to a certain size by hand---which is still another procedure that looks/sounds simple but isn't).

Adding to the general confusion is that ORNAMENTAL bands installed as part of a pipe's design ARE simple and easy. Select band, create recess, apply glue, & slip on. The pipe is shaped to the metal.

But shaping the metal to fit an existing pipe AND fitting it accurately enough to create compression and stay put forever without glue can be insanity inducing. What's needed for a "diamond" or "square" shank (the most commonly cracked kind), for example, isn't four square panels that are square in cross section at all, but a geometric construct consisting of four scalene quadrilaterals whose axial cross section is also a scalene quadrilateral---and the entire thing must TAPER approximately a half a degree along its axis.

Tons O fun, those...

Anyway, you get the idea.

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
Not that I know of.

I didn't go near the subject on my YouTube channel because of the fractal nature OF the subject. The thousand details to consider, each decision triggering another decision...

Also, ordering bands from suppliers one at a time isn't practical, but neither is having a thousand dollars worth of stepped sizes on hand. (The only middle ground is to enter a world called "chasing"---the hammering of a metal part to a certain size by hand---which is still another procedure that looks/sounds simple but isn't).

Adding to the general confusion is that ORNAMENTAL bands installed as part of a pipe's design ARE simple and easy. Select band, create recess, apply glue, & slip on. The pipe is shaped to the metal.

But shaping the metal to fit an existing pipe AND fitting it accurately enough to create compression and stay put forever without glue can be insanity inducing. What's needed for a "diamond" or "square" shank (the most commonly cracked kind), for example, isn't four square panels that are square in cross section at all, but a geometric construct consisting of four scalene quadrilaterals whose axial cross section is also a scalene quadrilateral---and the entire thing must TAPER approximately a half a degree along its axis.

Tons O fun, those...

I went to a professional, because this is beyond my skill level.

Reactions: milk

milk

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 21, 2022
Japan
Not that I know of.

Tons O fun, those...

I do see what you mean. Hmm…I was looking at a reborn page on this and thinking - because I have an oval/flat-bottomed pipe with a hairline crack but now I see it’s best left to professionals. But I have something else, a round shanked pipe that I wanted to add a band to, just for aesthetics, and the reborn page has the method of heating up the shank and band, and pressing it on. I see there’s a place you can buy nickel bands on line. The problem is, I’m not even remotely good at such things. If you told me that it was easy, I might try it. But if it’s tricky, we’ll then, no.

milk

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 21, 2022
Japan
Try Boswell's in Alexandria PA. Jim did one for me several years ago.
It seems like there are a few people out there who will do it. Actually, I’ve a harder job which is my Kriswill Canadian. It has a hairline crack but it’s oval and flat and I wonder if it will be hard but that may need to be done. I see some threads about difficulties even with people who are experienced in this area. Thanks. I will note your suggestion.

Reactions: carlomarx