PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

eazy

Lurker
Jul 1, 2013
Good Afternoon Gents,
Can you guys recommend any tobaccos for a lad who is new to pipe smoking. I am open to any kind of bacci, I just want to get a feel for the different types.
Thanks,

E

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Welcome to the forum. Check out the Sutliff site. They offer a wide range of blends and they are reasonibly priced.Another source is the pipe tobacco review section here. lots of good info.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Welcome eazy. I would recommend keeping an eye on the tobacco forum. There are so many types that it can be tough.
Straight off I would recommend Frog Morton Cellar. I'd say that 80% of those who tried it, liked it.
When I first started (not that long ago) I like aros (and continue to do so). I must have tried 30 aros in just the first few months of this journey and quickly learned what worked for me.
Then I started branching out into other areas (latakia blends, Virginias, VaPers, VaBurs, etc). That's one of the great things about pipe smoking, there's always another tobacco to try!

barleynbaccy

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
This is taken from a similar post yesterday and I agree.
For tobacco I would grab a tin of Capstan Blue Flake( Virginia), Escudo( Virginia/Perique), Frog Morton( English) a pouch of Carter Hall, and a couple of ounces of Lane 1Q( aromatic/ This is will give you a good representation of the 4 most smoked pipe tobacco categories
Welcome to the forums.

eazy

Lurker
Jul 1, 2013
That's the problem I am having there are so many different brands and types and tobacco I don't really know where to start.
Plus I have been reading reviews on them non-stop for almost a month and it is starting to drive my wife nuts ahaha.
Great please keep the names coming that will make it easier.
Cheers

hemsworth

Might Stick Around
May 27, 2013
I have tried about 25 different tobacco's in the past couple of months and the ones that have really stood out for me are:
4noggins Bald Headed teacher

4noggins Britt's Balkan

Charles fairmorn Lancer's Slices

Orlik Golden Sliced

AC Peterson Escudo

Samuel Gawith Navy Flake

McClelland Brindle Flake
Like yourself, I have spent hours pouring over reviews and I really found that Tobaccoreviews.com was tremendously helpful.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Welcome aboard, and welcome to pipe smoking.
A lot of guys like the Frog Morton series, which is a crossover English blend. I tried two, a number of years ago, and did not care for them - but then, I don't like crossovers much anyway. Give them a shot.
My favorite latakia blend is Peterson Old Dublin. My favorite Virginia is McCranie's Red Ribbon; Virginia Flake is Sam Gawith Best Brown Flake. For a burley forward blend, I like H&H Beverwyck. I don't smoke aros or VaPers, so I won't offer opinions on those types.

Have fun exploring!

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
That's the problem I am having there are so many different brands and types and tobacco I don't really know where to start.
Definitely take your time, don't over buy. In another era, many a person would simply buy one blend (like Prince Albert) and never vary from it. I would recommend starting with a quality aromatic (newminster makes nice ones that won't break the bank) and also try a tin of Frog Morton Cellar.

daytonsean

Lifer
Aug 28, 2012
Dayton
The website Luxury Tobacco Reviews is a good place to start. You can look up different blends, based on the different styles of pipe tobacco. My favorites are Latakia English, and Oriental English. If you're looking for something light and easy to smoke to begin with, pick up some Lane Limited 1Q. Good luck.

lucky695

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 2, 2013
roth has some good iseas there... Frog Morton Cellar, 1-Q, Sutliff Molto Dolce all very tasty in different ways..

Status
Not open for further replies.