PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
There are mysteries in life that cannot be explained, but not many.

I think I’ve solved this mystery, of why a pipe obviously colored by the oils of burning tobacco would, if cut apart, have only a thin layer of coloring on the outside and the inside, and none in the middle.

If the pipe was meerschaum, the reason is that the beeswax stops the closing from being taken through the pipe, then wiped off by cleaning.

This has been known since at least 1885, and probably much longer, as boiling meerschaum pipes in beeswax was old news, then.

I’ve known that oils from my face will shine up a pipe since I’d see Harry Hosterman run his Grabow against his nose, going on sixty years ago.

If Harry had a meerschaum, those oils would have been a substitute for beeswax.

——
Beeswax has been used since prehistory as the first plastic, as a lubricant and waterproofing agent, in lost wax casting of metals and glass, as a polish for wood and leather, for making candles, as an ingredient in cosmetics and as an artistic medium in encaustic painting.

Beeswax is edible, having similarly negligible toxicity to plant waxes, and is approved for food use in most countries and in the European Union under the E number E901.
—-

Why, that a cut apart pipe will deceive reasonable people enough to have them deny their own eyes, that it’s been discolored by long use of burning tobacco, is quite simple to explain.

The man who smoked all three of my oil soaked pipes, loved them dearly.

He kept them oiled, perhaps waxed.

Occasionally he’d smoke one so many times the wood swelled up from trapped moisture and the shank on one even cracked.

But eventually the tobacco oils that beeswax stop in a meerschaum were stopped by the oils from his hands or face, on briar.

It takes much longer for tobacco oils to color briar than meerschaum, but the process and explanation, is the same.
There is a difference between rationalization and fact.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Noooooooo. You just made this up with your own set of alternative facts. That is NOT how science works.

Do a spectrum analysis of chemicals using capillary action with a kit. It is clear that the color is constant. It leaves a trail. Stop with the alternative facts.
The stars above were shining on a crystal clear, cold February night in 1972 when an almost 14 year old me, and my mother’s first ex husband yet to be, Hadley, were out on a mission to water cows from a well on the Old Place.

Of all the men I’ve ever met on this earth, the most handsome was Hadley. If Ben Cartwrighton Bonanza (Loren Green) had a much more handsome brother then he’d have been Hadley.

Hadley had lots of money, in addition to his movie Star looks, and he was recently widowed, and was my bus driver when my Daddy had died in September 1971.

This gave Hadkey an inside edge on the race for every eligible middle aged man around to pursue my mother. Thanksgiving 1971 would have been very lonesome without Daddy, but since I invited Hadley to dinner, it was a happy time.

When Mama bent over to take the turkey from the oven, and Hadley whistled, and she smiled, I knew it was a budding romance.

By Christmas 1971 Mama announced her and Hadley were engaged.

On that long ago clear night fifty years ago, I looked up in wonderment at the heavens and exclaimed

Oh look, Hadley!

There’s the Milky Way.

There’s the Big Diipper and Little Dipper and look, there’s Orion!

Hadley looked up, and said just think, in a few hours the sun will rise in the East, and then all day those will be there, but we won’t see them until the sun goes down in the west again.

Just think how many billions of times, the sun has made that big circle.

I said not a word.

On the way back home, I warned Hadley to not discuss the heavens and earth with Mama. Campbellites have peculiar notions about those things, and Mama has a very quick temper and complete inability to consider, anything else, I said.

We both knew about her temper.

I saved Hadley from trying to tell Mama the earth was flat and the sun revolved around the earth.

But I couldn’t save him, from discovering that him and Mama, lived in two different worlds.

TWO DIFFERENT WORLDS

Blind Pig and the Acorn

Mama married Hadley that June and left him (for the last time) on New Year’s Day 1973.

By February 1973 Hadley had another gorgeous middle aged girlfriend, who’d light his cigarettes and pour his coffee and if Hadley told her the world was flat, she’d have agreed with him.

He was a wonderful, good and kind man, to me and Mama and everyone else in the world he ever met.

But he was a bit careless, in his research for the truth, you know?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
The stars above were shining on a crystal clear, cold February night in 1972 when an almost 14 year old me, and my mother’s first ex husband yet to be, Hadley, were out on a mission to water cows from a well on the Old Place.

Of all the men I’ve ever met on this earth, the most handsome was Hadley. If Ben Cartwrighton Bonanza (Loren Green) had a much more handsome brother then he’d have been Hadley.

Hadley had lots of money, in addition to his movie Star looks, and he was recently widowed, and was my bus driver when my Daddy had died in September 1971.

This gave Hadkey an inside edge on the race for every eligible middle aged man around to pursue my mother. Thanksgiving 1971 would have been very lonesome without Daddy, but since I invited Hadley to dinner, it was a happy time.

When Mama bent over to take the turkey from the oven, and Hadley whistled, and she smiled, I knew it was a budding romance.

By Christmas 1971 Mama announced her and Hadley were engaged.

On that long ago clear night fifty years ago, I looked up in wonderment at the heavens and exclaimed

Oh look, Hadley!

There’s the Milky Way.

There’s the Big Diipper and Little Dipper and look, there’s Orion!

Hadley looked up, and said just think, in a few hours the sun will rise in the East, and then all day those will be there, but we won’t see them until the sun goes down in the west again.

Just think how many billions of times, the sun has made that big circle.

I said not a word.

On the way back home, I warned Hadley to not discuss the heavens and earth with Mama. Campbellites have peculiar notions about those things, and Mama has a very quick temper and complete inability to consider, anything else, I said.

We both knew about her temper.

I saved Hadley from trying to tell Mama the earth was flat and the sun revolved around the earth.

But I couldn’t save him, from discovering that him and Mama, lived in two different worlds.

TWO DIFFERENT WORLDS

Blind Pig and the Acorn

Mama married Hadley that June and left him (for the last time) on New Year’s Day 1973.

By February 1973 Hadley had another gorgeous middle aged girlfriend, who’d light his cigarettes and pour his coffee and if Hadley told her the world was flat, she’d have agreed with him.

He was a wonderful, good and kind man, to me and Mama and everyone else in the world he ever met.

But he was a bit careless, in his research for the truth, you know?
Are you sure you're not Irish?

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Are you sure you're not Irish?
I believe he's lonely. Or, your much earlier observation was indeed correct with regards to possibly a bot sent to stir the members up. Surely, Briar Lee can't be as obtuse as he indicates with his off the wall stories and anecdotes with no relationship to the queries he responds to.

You, Mr. Lee, are often entertaining and sometimes very confusing. Keep it up!

Status
Not open for further replies.