PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
I recently picked up this poker at an antique shop. I haven't cleaned it yet (I also just noticed the stem wasn't aligned in the pics I took) and it's vexed me since I bought it. I thought I should draw on the wisdom of this forum to give me some insight behind it if possible. For some reason, I just can't Google myself an answer for this...
First pic, pretty standard looking poker. Stamped "Frank- Italian Briar" on the side. Okay cool, a Frank. Not much mystery there...
bdpoker2_zps222d3538.jpg

...on the bottom, however....!!!! :?:
bdpoker_zps8fafb327.jpg

Okay, so it's a Black and Decker pipe...? Has anyone seen this before? Maybe it was a promotional item of some kind, "buy a drill get a pipe?"

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
Haven't seen it before. Have you tried turning the stem upside down. Some times they are fitted for a certain direction.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
I did turn the stem, that was exactly what the issue was. It aligns perfectly now, no Black and Decker tools needed for that task...

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Hey mate, it is similiar to this one here? Am still looking but if I remember correctly, they may have been made as a lesser class of the St. Claude. Not 100% sure yet though
http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-black-decker-tools-estate-75015346

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
Aha! Thanks nsfisher, hopefully this will lead to some more answers...
Dave- googling the logos from various eras now...Thanks!

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
I know I seen a Black & Decker somewhere while looking around durin last month or so but I cant find it or remember where. For some reason St. Claude sticks in my mind, but, my mind ain't what it used to be so I am probably wrong.

Aug 1, 2012
That would corroborate the idea of Wally Frank as many Wallys came from France. I could be wrong and often am.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Is there any markings on the stem? An "F" maybe? Got a pic of the tenon? I believe it is promotional pipe. I have a couple of old Grabows made for Mobil Marine Oils and Gargoyle(Mobil) Marine oils and a Half&Half Grabow.

johncorosz

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
more info on the subject
http://brothersofbriar.forumotion.com/t16123-what-kind-of-pipe-is-this

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Ghost:
I love antique shop pipes and this one is a beauty.
But, I'll be the rude guest and ask about pricing. You either paid a premium for the B&D logo or you bagged this burner for anything between a one to ten dollar bill.
Just curious and I won't mind a bit if you tell me to buzz off.
Fnord

mick

Can't Leave
Aug 13, 2012
That's a cool find. I really like the B&D stamp on the bottom. Definitely harkens back to a different era when pipe smokers were the mainstream of society, not on the fringe.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
Thanks for all the comments everyone!
@ejames- I'll take a few more pics today. I didn't see any markings on the stem on first glance, but will give it a good going over today.
@johncorosz- Thanks for the link, the answer is out there then if others have seen them.
@fnord- I paid $20 (Canadian) for it. Logo aside, it's in decent shape. I had actually put it down, then went back to it when the PAD kicked in. It would've been great to snag it for less, but it's a cool piece so I'm at ease with the purchase. They had a lot of new pipes there since my last visit, but they seemed to be all Medicos. I'm not a fan, but some looked quite old so I may do some reading up and go back this weekend. All the Medicos were $10 each.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Brother, you got a good deal. If it were just a Wally Frank or an S. M. Frank that might be a bit on the high side. But, when you add the Black and Decker logo as a promotional piece, that brings on several layers of cross-collectability. Aside from the fact that it's just plain cool, this could be a "get" for some person who collects advertising and even power tools. More importantly, if it smokes well, and you love it, then who gives a rip what it costs?
Good catch.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
Thanks Guys! I'll post some after pics once I clean it up. I'll be taking extra care around that logo...

Status
Not open for further replies.