PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Glad to hear! They’ve had my business for the past 12 years. I almost always order from them, when I do order… which is few and far between these days.

Last edited:

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
I’ve told this story before, but when SP first came online I placed an order. The order arrived and included a Tsuge 3 piece tamper (35 bucks if I remember correctly) that I did not order or pay for.
I immediately emailed, and quickly got a response from a guy named Sykes (now I figured anybody named Sykes had to be at least 70) who thanked me for my order and for informing them of the error, but to keep the tamper with their compliments.
Well, let’s just say their investment in that 35 dollar error has yielded them gains that any hedge fund manager would be impressed with.

Jef

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2019
North Carolina
I ordered some tobacco and cleaners from SP a few months back. After a week went by I still had not received my order. I called them and they said that the postal service had marked it delivered. I told them that I had not received it. Had to wait a couple of weeks for the postal service to do their research. SP had still not gotten a response from them. SP sent out another package without question and I received that one in two days. SP is a class act. I order all of my stuff from them. They are outstanding!
jef

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

warren99

Lifer
Aug 16, 2010
California
I've always had an excellent experience with Smokingpipes.com. Fast service, estate pipes that I've purchased are always in outstanding condition and I've never had a problem that caused me to contact their customer service department.

Reactions: drastic_quench

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Got my order today of Balkan Supreme, Newminster 400 navy flake and Lane 1-Q and some Dr perl 6mm filters. The filters and Newminster400 are outstanding. I assume Balkan Supreme and Lane 1-Q will be as well tomorrow.

Aug 20, 2022
I've used them since 2008 or 2009. Only the now retired Frenchy of Frenchy's Pipes had customer service that excellent. Frenchy was known for including freebies ranging from pipe cleaners and tampers to the occasional free pipe.

Smokingpipes.com quickly held a $200+ meerschaum for me with no more than an email because I said I was going to send in a few estate pipes for evaluation and trade.

They also once forgot an 8oz tin in my order, but quickly corrected it and did not treat me with an ounce of suspicion.

Reactions: Michigan_Bill

warren99

Lifer
Aug 16, 2010
California
I’ve told this story before, but when SP first came online I placed an order. The order arrived and included a Tsuge 3 piece tamper (35 bucks if I remember correctly) that I did not order or pay for.
I immediately emailed, and quickly got a response from a guy named Sykes (now I figured anybody named Sykes had to be at least 70) who thanked me for my order and for informing them of the error, but to keep the tamper with their compliments.
Well, let’s just say their investment in that 35 dollar error has yielded them gains that any hedge fund manager would be impressed with.
I don't believe Sykes (Wilford), the founder of Smokingpipes, is quite 70 yet, at least judging from his picture below. :)

1663559846905.png

Reactions: Michigan_Bill

briarbuda48

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2013
Texas
My experience with SP goes back over a decade, and I agree with everything already said.

It's as if every morning before work the SP shop is reminded by a Voice Over The Intercom to do things right, or you're in the wrong place. Their attitude is outstanding.

Now for a tangential interjection:

Another site sponsor here is equally recommendation-worthy. It's a much smaller operation---and only pipes are carried, not tobacco---but is a great place to find pipes that were selected by someone who is a world-class pipe maker. Both new and estates.

The biz name is Blue Room Briars. If you're looking for something special, give them a shot at making you happy.

You'll be glad you did, I think.
I could not agree more concerning Blue Room Briars. I think I have sent them close to 20 pipes for store credit and added some really nice wood to my collection. Great service, very responsive. It’s always nice to talk to Scott.

Last edited:

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I don't know how much better service you can get like this.

I placed an order for around 1700.00 for some flakes. Some were not in stock so I said just fill the order when you can.
Over a year later I got a call from customer service asking me what I wanted to do with my 1700.00 plus credit. I had totally forgot about it so I looked to see what they had and decided to just have them send me a check for the full amount. Now that is what I call customer service.

drayve85

Starting to Get Obsessed
I’ve placed many orders with SmokingPipes and I’ve always had great service, and fast shipping. Cannot complain at all. I once had two tins of Blackhouse arrive with the paper stuck between the seal, and they had two free tins on their way to me the next day!