Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tinsel

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
I've only ever used a couple apple products and did so in a very limited setting, so I can't really say anything about how well they do or don't work.
At work, I use all PC stuff because ALL of the automotive programming software for EVERY manufacturer requires windows. My oscilloscope also only works with windows. Back when we used cd-based service manuals (they are online now), those manuals only ran on windows. So, the entire automotive field as far as I know is based entirely on windows.
In my home recording studio I use a PC machine because:
1. I was able to custom tailor a machine from Dell with the features I needed (firewire inputs, gobs of USB ports, processors etc)
2. It was a cheaper option.
When it comes to buying laptops for personal use, I buy PC because that's what I'm used to. I understand them and I know how to get them to do what I want (this comes from years of being forced to use automotive software that is fiddly and not user-friendly at all, not to mention recording/audio editing software). I don't see any reason to learn a new system or step outside of my comfort zone on the machine in my life that serves the least useful purposes. If all my work machines were Macs and I had the same level of experience with them, well then my laptop would probably be mac as well.
As for some of the comments about Macs holding up better to more punishment ... well I just don't know what to say to that. I guess some folks have had some bad luck with some PC machines. My recording studio rig has been run at the very limits of it's processing ability for hours and hours on end for about 8 years now and still works just fine (it's a Dell).
At work, the 2 most abused machines I have are Acer laptops (one Win7 and one Win8) that are used in a hot, dirty shop near running engines and have never given any problems. They are used not only for invoice management and internet activities, but also programming automotive computers, running oscilloscopes, and a host of other activities. They are turned on and running 9 hours a day, 5 days a week. The older of the 2 has suffered a soda spill on the keyboard with no issues (although I did wind up replacing the keyboard because the keys felt sticky after that, $15 for the new keyboard and 10 minutes to change it out), and on another occasion was sitting next to a running car when a radiator hose blew and it got sprayed thoroughly with hot engine coolant. That was about 4 years ago and it still works fine.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I like my iPhone, but when it comes to home computing I'd never buy anything from Apple. I grew up with Windows, so I'm used to it. Much prefer my Surface Pro3 to an iPad or MacBook.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
This has been an interesting thread. Different industries have settled on platforms that best suit their needs. Different people have settled on platforms that best suit their needs. What I take from this is that there is no one platform that works equally well for everybody, everywhere.

wannashmooze

Lurker
Jan 21, 2014
Interesting topic. All of my doctor frineds use macs. I switched over from my highly spec'd PC to a similar Mac 2 years ago and it literally changed my life. The mac leaves the pc in the dust and makes it look like a toy.
Dont hate on Mac. It is the first and only laptop that I ever had ovet the years that requires no maintenance, works smoothly, and gives me no troubles. Worth every extra penny.

Status
Not open for further replies.