PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I've used PCs, Macs, and Silicon Graphics (there's a ancient make) and Mac wins hands down for the kind of work I do. There's a reason that Macs dominate among artists. They're easy to use, plug and play, take a licking and keep on ticking. Better tools for color management, better handling of large graphics files.
Make no mistake, PCs have come a long ways from the days when they used to blow up and die on the production line, or croak out in an editing suite.
But every artist I've worked with who owns a PC wishes he/she had a Mac. Artists are not code monkeys and they don't have an interest in digging into the guts of a machine. They just want something that allows them to make the art they need to make for production without any hassles.

radio807

Can't Leave
Nov 26, 2011
New Jersey
One size does not fit all. I have a MacBook and a Dell, and I use each according to my particular need and what it does best.

skraps

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
I'm in IT, though a paper pusher now, still in the business. The company I work for has always been a Mac shop as far as what the employees use. I resisted for the first 3 years that I worked for the company. I switched sometime last year.
I have zero complaints. Pricey? Yes, but functional and can support a PC environment just fine.
Everything has its place. You use what you are comfortable with and what makes sense for the environment that you work in. I will never be a fanboy, but I enjoy the product and appreciate the synchronization that I can get across all my devices.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
My family has one laptop PC, it serves as our TV, dvd player and computer. It is PC and will always be replaced with PC because apple keeps a high price point, that's really the only decision I am making, not being particularly tech-savvy. I still have not owned anything touch screen yet.
Isaac

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Don't talk about Apple. Your gonna get hurt. Come at you like a bunch of Union scumbags at a campaign rally. :twisted:

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
+1 for all the nice/positive/constructive things said about Apples... and the constructive criticisms of their weaknesses.
+1 for variety and competition.
+1 for not busting/flaming/carrying on like diatribe-ulous idiots against anyone who has different tastes, interests, preferences, or specs than one's self.
And a comforting pat on the back to overwhelmed Luddites... I get more overwhelmed by the proliferation of issues, crimes, disasters, updates/upgrades/up-butts, etc... paper and pens never crashed and destroyed hours/days/weeks of labor, progress, or vital data and records. And they never spied on me without my knowledge or consent. I am not advocating any silly return to days of yore... just whistfully remembering the comparatively wide, open spaces of days in which people weren't texting whilst driving, having family get-togethers without g-d- smart phones taking the place of "presence" and conversation, or lifetimes being spent to learn systems that are outmoded well before you know the previous one - easily within days of issue... sometimes minutes.
A pipe is in order now. Sincere peace to all.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I touched my first Mac back in 1986 when it was called a 512k and had no hard drive and no memory to speak of. I have progressed though the years with Macs and at one time, you could virtually build your own Mac. This was back in the 90s with they came in beige cases. I was even trained to diagnose problems, take them apart and rebuild them. This was easily done for all Macs until they came out with the iMac and the laptops. If you were into the MacPro desktops, you could do this up until they went away from the towers and started making the cylinder looking things.
I was a photojournalist when I first started using Macs. I have used them for everything related to photography and graphic design. I have written stories on them. I was also the Managing Editor of a small monthly magazine for 10 years and everything was done on Macs. I also worked for a printing company for 10 years and eventually became the director of the company's art and production companies. Everything in my side of the building was Mac or worked with Macs - including the direct-to-plate technology we used.
I am self employed now and use Macs for my advertising design business including all my bookkeeping and invoicing.
I also used my iMac for playing World of Warcraft when I played it.
And, during all the time I have had Mac computers, I have never had one fail because of being hacked or because it was infected with a virus or a worm. They only time I've had to replace a Mac because of a failure was because of a failure in a surge protector during a lighting storm.
So, tell me again how worthless Macs are.

Please.

nachman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2013
One of my first computers was an Apple III. You had to write your own drivers and the operating system, SOS, was quite limited, but what could you expect from an 8bit computer. Then Apple announced it would no longer support Apple IIIs and not develop any more software for it. So, I bought an Apple II, more game friendly but less serious business software capable. Then Apple announced it would no longer support Apple IIs. Of course the Mac would not support software from either of my previous Apple computers. I owned two boat anchors. I swore off Apple.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Twenty plus years ago. You could come into this Century!
All software makers will, at some point or other, stop developing updates for old hardware and software,including OSes.

gtrhtr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 2, 2016
I don't have a dog in this fight but find it interesting that as a self admitted computer guy, the number one reason is based on your opinion of a cultish user base and not some factual deficiency.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
It's a good demographic to go after. Make products for people that are "technologically literate" and 8 times out of 10, they get things to work as they should. But it comes with a hefty price tag. Apple stuff is by no means inexpensive.
I'd much prefer to do a little research about something and still get it done, with less money given to someone else to do it.
My bigger problem is with the demographic of "technologically illiterate". I hear this all the damn time, and it makes me crazy. Does everyone realize that computers aren't going away? It might make sense to at least familiarize yourself with them. It's like owning a car. I don't know how to rebuild an engine, but I can put gas in the car, can change wiper blades, refill coolant, and change the oil and a tire.
So many people think that computers are fucking magic, it's not.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
My son graduated from the Ringling College of Art a few years ago and the entire time he was there(4years) he had a Macbook Pro. They gave him one his freshman year and it was fine the whole time and he still has it today. When he graduated I asked him what he wanted for a gift and he asked for a new computer. I remember only a couple of the features one being it had like 6 quad core Xeon Processors and some high end graphics card. I asked him why he went with a PC over apple and he said because the PC he could upgrade for years to come. I know he just got a new graphic card and he mentioned something about some new processors. He always hits me up for this kind of stuff near his birthday(3/17/90). I know nothing about this stuff, but have a good friend who has been building computers for over 20 years. He always helps my son, figure this stuff out.
Both my friend and my son are PC guys, but each has a Mac of some kind to be able to see how stuff looks like on a Mac. Are Mac's not very good at upgrading or is that more rumor than fact? I have always used a pc as I only surf the net and use a word file for business stuff. I have no need of a computer good in graphic stuff. When I just bought my new computer last week, I saw the Mac books and they were double the price of a similar pc laptop. I am comfortable using pc and have never touched a mac so I went with what I know.
What is the percentage of mac users compared to pc users? Isn't it like a 90% pc and 10 % apple difference or am I totally wrong about this.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
My bigger problem is with the demographic of "technologically illiterate". I hear this all the damn time, and it makes me crazy. Does everyone realize that computers aren't going away? It might make sense to at least familiarize yourself with them. It's like owning a car. I don't know how to rebuild an engine, but I can put gas in the car, can change wiper blades, refill coolant, and change the oil and a tire.
So many people think that computers are fucking magic, it's not.
I was in IT for 19 years. Started out as an IBM applications programmer, was soon promoted to systems, then led teams, then groups, and finally ended up in a position that reported directly to the CEO of a Fortune 100 company. Along the way I taught IBM assembler & related systems stuff to a professional audience in a classroom environment for 5 years.
As a manger I was issued and used many desktop computers, from Windows machines to Sun sparcstations.
Today I use---by choice---an iMac.
Why? Because I don't want to be assed by something that requires constant babysitting and tweaking. I have real work to do.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Some computer guys, maybe even those of us short of geeks, eschewed the manuals even when they were printed. Among the reasons they (Mac, and maybe some Windows OSes) stopped with the books and put everything built in by way of manuals, how to's, popups, etc. is that the printed manuals were seldom read, and changed enough that you had billkay's experience. Cheaper, too!

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
Just an query....why do the die hard PC users get their panties in a bunch over the fact that some people just prefer Apple products? Almost all of the hostility and name calling has been directed at Apple users or "cultists". Personally I don't give a hoot what desktop, laptop, tablet or phone someone else uses, as it in no way affects my life; but there seems to be real hostility towards Apple users for not seeing Apple for the sham that it is and that we are all suckers for overpaying for pretty machines. Also, I do resent the implication that anyone who chooses to use Apple products is somehow "technologically illiterate" because we choose to use a different operating system than do the Microsoft and Linux users etc.. Why do you give a shit what I use....and why the resentment?

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
I have an iPhone. It works flawlessly for me. I can't see ever changing because I don't want to have to "learn" how to use an android or even a windows phone.
People I work with Constantly mock me because my phone is "locked system " and I can't customize it.
It's a damn phone. I don't need to add any more chores to my life. I don't personally know any Apple fanboys. But I know a boatload of android fanboys.

Status
Not open for further replies.