PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
I was googling blasts recently and came across an interesting one. I don't typically see this too often, and I'm constantly filing through pipes online. It appears to be an extremely deeply blasted Birdseye (cross grain?)
Has anyone else come across these? What do you guys think of it? It's a nice change from the typical blasts (growth rings going up the pipe) maybe this example is just a rare case and that type of cragginess is difficult to achieve. If you guys own anything similar, post some of them!

10F097EB-57B2-4BDA-ADEC-BC38B8F262B2.png

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Nice! I like the very interesting look. Someday I’d love a Walt Cannoy Suede. I know it’s rusticated not blasted, but it has such a unique style.

Reactions: gervais

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
See those occasionally from Peterson holiday pipes. But not in that degree of detail. Peterson finish looks like someone dumped paint on it and let it dry lately.
I agree with that statement about the pete blasts. I love them for the depth of blast they get it to, but usually ruin it to a degree with the loads of black stain

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Deep craggy blast has major tactile appeal, and visual as well. At the other end of the spectrum, I also like subtle blast that looks almost like the weave of fabric. I have a Tsuge "tasting pipe," a straight billiard, that has the extra fine blast that I also like. For a craggy blast, I have a Ser Jacopo with the deep grooves, pleasing to hold.

Reactions: gervais

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
Deep craggy blast has major tactile appeal, and visual as well. At the other end of the spectrum, I also like subtle blast that looks almost like the weave of fabric. I have a Tsuge "tasting pipe," a straight billiard, that has the extra fine blast that I also like. For a craggy blast, I have a Ser Jacopo with the deep grooves, pleasing to hold.

Yes Mso, I completely agree. Both craggy and shallow blasts can leave very admirable results. What surprises me is how rare it seems to be to achieve a deep craggy blast. Maybe I'm wrong, but for example: out of 50 sandblasts from Ashton I see, one might achieve a particularly craggy blast. I guess the briar takes to the gun differently depending on the block

Reactions: Papamique