PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

spartacus

Lifer
Nov 7, 2018
Mesa, Arizona
I really like Capstan, SG FVF, F&T Golden Mixture. I'm looking to find a really good straight virginia in bulk.
I am told Mac Baren HH Pure Virginia is the best out there for bulk. What you think?

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
Cornell & Diehl's Yorktown is a great straight Virginia with nothing added. It has a medium nic hit and burns at a moderate rate. http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/311/cornell-diehl-yorktown

troyniss

Can't Leave
Jul 8, 2018
Michigan
Here are a few that I have had so far and really enjoy:
Sutliff 515 RC-1- tangy sour red Virginia, apparently similar to McClellands Red Cake. My favorite bulk.

Sutliff 507C Virginia Slices - very grassy and hay-like Virginia, needs some age though.

Newminster No.400 Superior Navy Flake- very nice bright Virginia flake, has an excellent tin note to it. Smells like caramel. Says there is no topping but it sure smells like it. Going to cellar this deep.

PS402 Luxury Twist Flake - Lovely to look at and smokes well. Has a coconut-ish topping that is pretty unique, yet didn't grow on me, but still a wonderful sweet smoke.
Those are the only one's I've tried in bulk.
As far as I now, MacBaren HH Pure Virginia only comes in tins, and at the most a 1LB box, so it's not considered bulk in terms of what the bulk category is. Although, MacBaren Virginia No.1 does come in bulk.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
^ ^ ^ Good list.
Stokkebye PS Luxury Navy Flake is excellent flake. Love BEF as well. The LTF coconut tends to overwhelm after a while.

ryeguy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2017
What is bef?

I, for one, can not stand the aromatic topping on ltf--i'd call it caramel.

Lnf is okay, but not a straight VA and not something I would consider great.

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
HH Pure Va is excellent, but I’ve never seen it in bulk. Peter Stokkebye bulk seems readily available and is quite good.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
McBaren HH blends available in 16 oz boxes. I suppose that technically that isn't bulk but it would seem to be to address what I would guess is the primary motivator for buying bulk (that is, price). The MacBaren packaging for their 16 oz box flakes is superb.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I’d have to agree with the OP, Mac Baren Pure Virginia Flake is up there with the best of them, it’s the priciest of all the options available but well worth the extra dough in my opinion, plus when you get a flake from MB you are going to get pristine flakes so if ya like to fold n’ stuff they’ve got the best flakes around for that purpose. Other bulk flake tobaccos can sometimes come more as a broken flake or Ready Rubbed because they are just thrown in a bag and shipped out.

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
You'll love that Newminster Spartacus. I bought my first about a month ago and it's stunningly good. Smoking some now... :D

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Damn it, now I want 3 pounds of it. Thanks a lot! :nana:
I’ll tell you, PVF is a great one to cellar, most of my tins are from 2015. This stuff with 4 years on it is spectacular and I imagine 10 years on it will just be stupid delicious. But... keep it on the low down. Last thing we need is to see “out of stock” items from Mac Baren. Although, I have a feeling they could keep up with the customers.

Status
Not open for further replies.