PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
I love VA and VaPer flakes and broken flakes. From Union Square to Christmas Cheer. Lbf, Comoy's Cask No.4, HH Pure Virginia, Wessex Campaign Dark Flake etc.

For some reason, I've never ventured to try anything Va that's not a flake. I was sent a sample of Bayou Morning, and didn't enjoy it. Too heavy on the perique for me.

My question is, what are some top quality Ready Rubbed, or Ribbon VA's and Vapers?

I have the current Elizabethan and the Sutliff Match for Murray's on my list to try.

What else have you got?

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
My favorite for each category is Ashton Gold Rush and Lane 125th Anniversary, respectively. @anotherbob and I both frequently rave about Gold Rush. It's hard to believe that it has no topping, but it doesn't. Mellow, stays lit very well, unbelievably flavorful smoke, and it only gets better with age. And it doesn't turn your bowl hotter than a rock sitting in the Sahara all day in direct sunlight in July. 125th is a VaPer that is extremely light on the "Per" yet is still noticeably present, unlike in something like OGS, where I just can't taste a hint of perique.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
TR says fruit, citrus, and honey.

View attachment 99696
Good catch. I shouldn't have said topping when I meant casing. I know pretty much all tobacco has some semblance of topping to some degree. Thanks for that!

@FurCoat definitely worth trying a tin. 15 mins. of dry time right out of the tin is highly recommended, which should come as a surprise to absolutely no one.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I know pretty much all tobacco has some semblance of topping to some degree.
Yep. I like Gold Rush too.?

Never really looked into this blend but it sounds like it's right up my ally. I like K&K's blending. I might pick up a tin to try. I'm not buying a lot of tins at the moment, buying bulk as much as I can.
It's a good one!

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
C&D Yorktown, C&D Derringer, D&R Rimboche SJ and AP, HU 5th Anniversary Blend, HU Edward G, HU Director's Cut (hopefully, I hear it's now been returned to it's original blending), Rattray's HOTW, Sutliff Matured Red Virginia 515 - RC-1, Sutliff Match Victorian, GL Pease Stratford, Esoterica Dunbar, Esoterica Dorchester, Watch City Rougaroux

MarcosEZLN

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 20, 2021
Birch Bay, WA, USA
I don't have anything new to offer, but I'll add my votes for Hal O'The Wynd/Old Gowrie (debatably VaPer w/ the Kentucky), as well as Esoterica Dorchester. I've only recently tried the Dorchester but man is it good. I don't go in much for fruity aromatics, but this is just a great, bright VaPer with a perfectly balanced, subtle note of apricot. I bought a pound unsampled for $70 because it was too good of a deal to pass up, and now I'm bummed out about how expensive it will typically be to resupply. Absolutely worth a try if you can pick some up, though.