PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mbmoehl

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2022
Metro Detroit
I smoke a pipe outside only and love reading when it's warm enough. Though I love fiction I haven't come across anything recently that has grabbed my attention. Krista Tippett's podcast On Being has turned me on to a couple of books that I've enjoyed; Robin Wall Kimmer's Braiding Sweet grass & James Bridle's Ways of Being: Animals, Plants, Machines: The Search for a Planetary Intelligence. I also like biographies, specifically of interesting photographers. I try to stay off the phone when smoking, but it's getting more and more difficult.

Highlandpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 23, 2023
Clynder, Argyll & Bute, G84 0QX
For those that like to read whilst enjoying a pipe, what’s your preference?

I’ve been enjoying Lovecraft. The combo has been exceptional.
I like a good non fiction history book, the chilled and calm mood that pipe smoking creates helps me to soak up the history and critically think about the subject at the same time.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
The comics, sports pages and the gossip columns.

I can't multitask
Smoking requires all my concentration - cadence, cadence, cadence.
Slow down, slow down, slow down.
Sip don't puff, sip don't puff, sip don't puff.
Remember to snork, remember to snork, remember to snork

How is a person meant to have an enjoyable smoke and read something that requires using your brain at the same time ?
🤔😱😂

• Haha
Reactions: dunnyboy

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
I'll probably be re-reading Patrick Obrian's "Aubrey/Maturin" series. Most recently though, I've been wading through "Albion's Seed", a very dry, but well researched look at British colonization of America.
Because of lack of space, I got rid of most of my books when I sold my weekend house. But I kept the "Aubrey/Maturin" series for a reason. They're fantastic! Time to crack Master and Commander and rejoin the British Navy. Thanks for the reminder!

Reactions: lraisch

Bob the bear

Can't Leave
Apr 2, 2022
Edinburgh UK
My studies have me buried knee deep In physics books most of the time so I tend to try ponder the mysteries of the universe (with varied success) while wisps of pipe smoke curl round me. Helps me concentrate....that's my excuse 😜

Reactions: kcghost