PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

peregrinus

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Pacific Northwest
I would like to have your opinion on these boys for a beginner in this hobby. Considering the hundreds of camchimbos I've seen, these are the ones that, for their price, seemed preferable to me (on sight).
Of the pipes you’ve looked at the Stawell’s would be a good choice for a first pipe, and I would suggest a straight or quarter bent.
If the pipes are all drilled correctly then it is mostly personal choice as far as looks and price.
Good luck and have fun choosing your pipe.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
G'day and welcome.

Some of my favourite smokers are NOS 80's Venini that cost on average around $35aud each and my MM cobs.
Don't have to spend a lot for a good smoker.

Smoking a pipe to decrease cigarettes smoked didn't work for me.
Completely substituting cigarettes with a pipe did work.

For over 35 years I was a slave to cigarette addiction, smoking 30-40 a day.
Going cold turkey was white knuckle torture.
Switching to a pipe was much easier simply because a puff on a pipe was better than nothing.
Now I'm smoking way less and enjoying it heaps more.

Cigarettes have 300+ added chemicals. some of which are as addictive [if not more so] than the nicotine.
Pipe tobacco has no added harmful chems and most pipe tobacco blends has significantly less nicotine.

That's why a bowl of pipe tobacco will not satisfy a cigarette smokers cravings.
There's a 4-5 day withdrawal period when one ditches the cigs for a pipe but it then gets much easier.
I've not had a cigarette since I took up the pipe over 11 years ago and have not craved for one. Yucky things.

Initially I smoked blends with mild-to-medium nicotine but now smoke blends with mild Lady N.
Now I can go all day without a smoke when occupied and hardly notice.
For me, smoking a pipe is an enjoyable habit not an addiction.
My only regret is not switching sooner.

Good luck if you choose to get off the coffin nails.

PortugalPipe

Lurker
Aug 14, 2021
Viseu, Portugal
Cigarettes have 300+ added chemicals. some of which are as addictive [if not more so] than the nicotine.
Pipe tobacco has no added harmful chems and most pipe tobacco blends has significantly less nicotine.

That's why a bowl of pipe tobacco will not satisfy a cigarette smokers cravings.
There's a 4-5 day withdrawal period when one ditches the cigs for a pipe but it then gets much easier.
I've not had a cigarette since I took up the pipe over 11 years ago and have not craved for one. Yucky things.

Good luck if you choose to get off the coffin nails.
That is one of the objectives. To get out of tobacco sticks to enjoy my new lifestyle that as changed a lot in last 6 months.

I smoking 5 for day (i was over 35) and to get to zero next week and after one week start the piping.

PortugalPipe

Lurker
Aug 14, 2021
Viseu, Portugal
I have chosen the one...

Its a half bend... i would prefer a strait or quarter bend for the driness.
Its also starter pipe but a good brand. So as the advantage to get some other things and to do not spend a lot of money in my "burner" pipe. I getting to buy another one next month, that will be presumably this one of the three:

So next month i'm with 2 to get and after that just seeing where im going and to see if i can get my old Peterson back. This two first pipes are going to be burner's (especially the Savinelli starter kit) but getting from good brands i'm sure is going to be a good pipe.

The bad thing is to get from different stores if i choose the Stanwell for the second one... and to pay different shipping costs. But well i can get for almost half the price that is selling in Lisbon store.

The other mather is tobacco... because Danish pipestore dont sell online unless you get a danish adress... but im going to post a new tread for that.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
That's a lot of words to conclude that the nature/pedigree of the briar is one factor in a pipe smoking superbly.
I just see the article as showing, just because a pipe is expensive, doesn’t mean it’s a good smoker, as also an inexpensive pipe a bad smoker.

Sometimes it’s a roll of the dice... ?

Reactions: OzPiper

smokeymo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 1, 2020
AZ
If you like the Pete style and are willing to spring for a little higher-end at some point, I would recommend Ser Jacopo. Similar-ish style. Hand-crafted.

• Love
Reactions: anotherbob

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
The "Catch 22" for newbies. You're not sure you'll like pipe smoking so for your first pipe you don't want to spend much and buy the cheapest you can. If you like it you'll buy a better one later. Naturally it smokes like crap so you give up pipes. If you had bought a good pipe to start with you might have liked it, but you didn't so..... and on and on.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
that's pretty much my review of that article. Oh but you forgot to mention that it's hard to trace what factors aside from drilling or the such have what specific effect on the smoke.
No, I didn't forget that, as my point was simple: Briar matters. Sure, the mechanics of the pipe do as well, but I've left out aesthetics of all manner.

Reactions: anotherbob