PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Effortlessdepths

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2020
Micanopy, FL
Your pipe looks to be in fine condition and quite clean.
So give it a gentle cleaning and a hand polish before you decide to give it a good going-over.
If so, I would most carefully clean it with some luke warm water and a microfibre cloth.
It will also clean the rim nicely from debris.
Be careful when using soap, it could compromise the staining !
Give it some mineral oil ( not vegetable, it will go rancid ) .
I prefer parrafin- or recorder oil . A few drops will do. Wipe of the access and polish it with a mf cloth.
If you feel like waxing , it depends on what is available.
Applying carnauba wax takes skill and a buffer, there are waxes that can be applied by hand.
I often use Renaissance ( conservators ) wax if I do not feel like the "plastic" shine of carnauba.
There is actually little reason to wax your pipe, unless your hands are dirty, sweaty etc.
Carnauba also seals the briar which is, I believe, it not always prefferable.
I like my briars to "breathe" and therefore prefer a more frequent oil treatment.
Micromesh pads are good !
Keep asking, we learn every day :)
Would this product do as recorder oil?

Reactions: ofafeather
Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
Could be, depends on the contents. Suppose it is basically the same.
Recorder oil ( from Mollenhauer ) is twice refined linseed oil which is an entirely different animal than the boiled oil.
Is also contains vitamin E . Thin as water and odourless. The briar soaks it in and will polish to a
wonderful semi gloss shine.

Effortlessdepths

Feb 7, 2020
Micanopy, FL
Could be, depends on the contents. Suppose it is basically the same.
Recorder oil ( from Mollenhauer ) is twice refined linseed oil which is an entirely different animal than the boiled oil.
Is also contains vitamin E . Thin as water and odourless. The briar soaks it in and will polish to a
wonderful semi gloss shine.
I have an Amazon cart full of the things I need but can't find the mollenhauer oil. Could I trouble you to find or suggest something alternative that I can get off Amazon?

Reactions: orlandofurioso

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
Fiebing's leather dye works well, I use a brown, sand it down and followed by a lighter tan for a contrast stain.

For the "shine" you will need some kind of coating. I use tripoli, followed by carnauba on a hand drill mounted buffing wheel ($11 including the tripoli at Home Depot). You may be able to get away with hand buffing with carnauba wax but it won't look like a factory shine.

5a305226-9d35-4a54-b54b-8f67cd760853-jpeg.19738

641b436d-53e7-480d-ab44-9985571028d1-jpeg.19742
Wow. That’s some killer Birdseye!

Reactions: Effortlessdepths

Kottan

Apr 5, 2020
Frankfurt am Main, Germany
I have an Amazon cart full of the things I need but can't find the mollenhauer oil. Could I trouble you to find or suggest something alternative that I can get off Amazon?

To clean the surface you can also use 0000 steelwool with some drops of Ballistol oil. Gently rub then let it rest for 15 minutes then repeat the procedure and after that rub the surface (whole pipe) with a soft cloth or microfiber cloth. Then you may apply wax. I prefer Paragon.

Dec 10, 2013
Thank you Kottan; this is one :

Odd, it is not available on Amazon.com.
Suppose the Music-Nomad will do fine.
Thomann.de also ships abroad.

Dec 10, 2013

To clean the surface you can also use 0000 steelwool with some drops of Ballistol oil. Gently rub then let it rest for 15 minutes then repeat the procedure and after that rub the surface (whole pipe) with a soft cloth or microfiber cloth. Then you may apply wax. I prefer Paragon.
Paragon and Renaissance wax are basically the same if you study the product sheets.
Paragon is way more expensive and has a trifle lower melting point ( so heat resistance ) than Renaissance.

Peter - CCB

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 26, 2019
Santa Barbara, CA
www.etsy.com
I’ve restored about 100 this past year and a half. Stained about 30 of em. Fiebings dye. Often times if they’re old enough, just a light sanding then Tripoli buff it. Lots of color comes back from the wax base. Find I don’t need to stain a lot that way. Sorry I didn’t read each post on this thread so maybe irrelevant now.

jewman22

Lifer
Apr 2, 2021
Ontario Canada
I have refinished 2 pipes so far, have 2 more to do. I did a Dr Plumb Rhodesian and an old Brigham. The Brigham is rusticated so I attempted a contrast finish, it turned out ok but not that great.
The Dr Plumb, needed 3 cracks repaired, which I did with 2 part epoxy. I'm quite pleased with how this one turned out in the end. Brigham had 1 big crack in the bowl.
I used Fiebings leather dye to get the finish I was after. I did a base layer of yellow, followed by a couple top coats of a 75/25 of Oxblood and black. The end result is a nice deep red.
I will try and get some pictures posted of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.