PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

indyraider

Lurker
Sep 12, 2013
I have a quick re-lighting question. When you are smoking a bowl of tobacco and get a good pile of ash on top, what do you guys do? Is it recommended to just leave it? If it goes out do you just tamp down the ash and light it again? Would lightly tapping out the ash be acceptable before re-lighting? Sometimes I get an initial foul taste if I tamp down the ash and re-light. Thanks.
indyraider

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
For me it depends on the bowl size really. If I am smoking a pipe with a large, deep bowl I will dump some of the ash out before I tamp it down. If I am smoking a pretty average size bowl I usually have no issues with leaving the ash and just tamping it down. As I get close to the bottom of the bowl, then I will dump out the ash and finish it off. Its all personal preference I suppose.

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
I always dump the ash when it gets thick. This is usually about once a bowl towards the end. Otherwise hard to keep lit and tastes ashy.

indyraider

Lurker
Sep 12, 2013
Awesome feedback. Thanks a million--I feel like I am back in school except it is much more enjoyable!
indyraider

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Usually 3/4's way through the bowl, if it goes out. I like to pack loose and then tamp after the charring light, again after the second light, and then once the true light happens usually the bowl smokes down. However I'm getting pretty pro and have my bowl packing down to a 20 second ordeal and can usually use just one light now.

salewis

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2011
Dumping ash is OK. Do not worry about stirring and dumping your ash as you see fit. What has not been mentioned is that some tobacco requires more dumping than other tobaccos. For example, ribbon cut tobacco burns quicker than flake cut tobacco and therefore requires more dumping. I usually, stir and dump my tobacco (I usually smoke Virginia and vaper flakes) as much as three times during a smoke in a number 4 size bowl. Usually after two or three lights after the charring light. A second tobacco dump about half way down and a third tobacco dump when there is just a little tobacco left. Finally, the last tobacco dump when you are finished with your smoke.

dalby

Lurker
Aug 17, 2013
What has not been mentioned is that some tobacco requires more dumping than other tobaccos.
In my limited experience, I've found this to be true. In particular, Captain Earle's Nightwatch crumble-cake produces an ash that appears to be denser than others I frequently smoke, completely extinguishing the ember unless I dump the ash. Rarely does the ash seem to add an undesirable flavor to a blend, to my tastes at least. :)

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I always stir and gently dump ash before every re light. I always tamp once the ash is gone before relighting as well. I have found that trying to relight through a pile of ash means I have to keep the flame on the tobacco too long which will lead to a hotter smoke and thereby rob me of flavor. I want to smoke as cool as possible because the flavors will be better for me.

nhbard

Lurker
Sep 19, 2013
Here's what is probably a dumb question. HOW do you dump the ash? It seems to me that "dumping" the ash would also dump the tobacco...
Another dumb one. Does the ash collect on top of the tobacco, or does it settle underneath?

lordape

Might Stick Around
Aug 8, 2013
nhbard, if your tobacco is coming out when you tip your bowl upside down then you aren't packing it tight enough.

In my experience the ash simply takes the space of the burnt tobacco on the top, usually holding the same shape and form. I use my czech tool to prod around a little which loosens the ash enough for me to simply turn the bowl over and empty it out. A quick tamp and a relight and I'm good to go.

shutterbug

Can't Leave
Apr 12, 2013
Fluffing is the term of removing the ash, but personally, I don't ususally. I am of the strong belief that the ash, if tamped correctly, insulates the ember, allowing for an even burn. There are times I have had to fluff out the ash to get to the tobacco to re-light, but, seldom. It's perfectly acceptable, and if required, do so. It doesn't harm your ability to smoke your pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.