PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Western Isles

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2021
Tennessee
I see a lot of anti big government sentiment/taxation is theft vibes on this forum ... Is that not also politics?
Setting aside BROBS for a minute, do you think that discussion of anti-tobacco taxation/legislation is really political? I've certainly expressed my disgust with the way the power of government is being used to target the tobacco industry, but I think that was happening regardless of which party was in power over the last decade, Labour or Conservative (or Democrat or Republican if you like). I thought that rendered the topic 'politics-neutral', but if the moderators see it differently, I'll keep my thoughts to myself on that count in future.

Setting aside BROBS for a minute, do you think that discussion of anti-tobacco taxation/legislation is really political?
Kevin has generously said that we may discuss politics (ONLY) as it relates to tobacco. I would avoid socially political issues like 'liberals fault for anti-smoking" or things like that, because they usually pan out to not be true. And, I would avoid calling out a particular politician. That way we can discuss these things, without getting the threads closed.

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
In what way? I've coppers I worked with and many younger ones I bump shoulders with have politics which run the gamut. Just like the membership here.
While the origins of the flag aren't necessarily political, or certainly not partisan (I think we can all agree that generally the police, particularly those who are injured or killed in the line of duty, need our support) in recent years it has been co-opted by ultra right-wing factions such as those who were responsible for the mess in Charlottesville. It was flown alongside nazi and confederate flags.

So, I'm not saying it's inherently political, but it has been used for political means in the past few years. It is, of course, impossible to know the intent of those who use it on this board, which is probably why the mods have (wisely) let it slide.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
I think the mods here do surprisingly well at a thankless and almost impossible task, given that the power to moderate in essence is a form of censorship and inevitably displeases someone every time it's exercised. But people being what they are no moderation is as bad as too much; I've seen forums implode over exactly this issue. The fact that this site is still thriving is a continuing miracle, and a testimony to the light touch used by the mods on Kevin's team.

I'll add the thought that while politics per se are indeed banned, I view that as shorthand for saying that things which are or are likely to become excessively divisive are banned. The reality is that man is a political animal, and there are few if any issues that can't be construed as politics. So if I were a mod I'd be looking not just at the content of a thread but the tone; anything that gets too heated can almost certainly be viewed as political at heart and should be nipped in the bud. For those who want a free-for-all argument knock yourselves out; there are endless opportunities on countless websites to engage. This shouldn't be one of them.

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
I think the mods here do surprisingly well at a thankless and almost impossible task, given that the power to moderate in essence is a form of censorship and inevitably displeases someone every time it's exercised. But people being what they are no moderation is as bad as too much; I've seen forums implode over exactly this issue. The fact that this site is still thriving is a continuing miracle, and a testimony to the light touch used by the mods on Kevin's team.

I'll add the thought that while politics per se are indeed banned, I view that as shorthand for saying that things which are or are likely to become excessively divisive are banned. The reality is that man is a political animal, and there are few if any issues that can't be construed as political. So if I were a mod I'd be looking not just at the content of a thread but the tone; anything that gets too heated can almost certainly be viewed as political at heart and should be nipped in the bud. For those who want a free-for-all argument knock yourselves out; there are endless opportunities on countless websites to engage. This shouldn't be one of them.
Well put. I think one of the best things about this forum is that the mods do an excellent job of letting us be ourselves while at the same time not allowing us to succumb to our baser, tribal instincts. This is probably the most well run forum I've ever been a part of in that respect. It is run this way because of lessons learned in the past.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
BROBs, as many will attest, is a great guy and one of the most generous people you will ever meet. That said, he can’t resist making a joke which sometimes goes the wrong way and also loves to stir the pot. The other side of that is certain people know how to push his buttons and he has a hard time showing restraint when he’s baited.

A member mentioned to me the he’s doing ok and should be out of the penalty box in December.

Status
Not open for further replies.