PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
You've never seen Goodfellas?? You should definitely put Goodfellas on your watch list, Jay.
Chris, if it's anything like The Sopranos, I'll pass I think. I bought the boxset of the latter (after reading much hype) & found it rather dreary. A guy talking to his female shrink about his daily life is not my idea of entertainment I'm afraid.

I think I gave up on disc 4 or 5 :rolleyes:

Regards,

Jay.

Jun 9, 2018
England
Chris, if it's anything like The Sopranos, I'll pass I think. I bought the boxset of the latter (after reading much hype) & found it rather dreary. A guy talking to his female shrink about his daily life is not my idea of entertainment I'm afraid.

I think I gave up on disc 4 or 5 :rolleyes:

Regards,

Jay.
It's a great movie and it's based on a true story. Even though you didn't enjoy The Sopranos I still think you might like it. The fact it's based on a true story gives it an extra edge.

Reactions: B.Fee

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
It's a great movie and it's based on a true story. Even though you didn't enjoy The Sopranos I still think you might like it. The fact it's based on a true story gives it an extra edge.
OK Chris, you talked me into it.....just bought the DVD from Amazon.

If it's a flop I'll come down to yours and shove it up your nostril ;)

goodfellas.jpg

Regards,

Jay.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Chris, I will of course give my thoughts on the film once I've watched it ;)

Regards,

Jay.
Thanks for the bold, I am an anachronist that does the same all the time though technically you won't watch a film, you'll watch from a digital video disc :) Having said that, why would you get in the trouble of ordering a physical medium, wait for it to come, then need to store etc while you could simply stream from something like Stremio it if you don't mind "piracy" or buy it and stream it?

Don't want to derail but I'm somewhat smug that in Greece we still call cartoons "moving drawings", and cinema with its full name: Kinematograph (meaning "motion picture")

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Thanks for the bold, I am an anachronist that does the same all the time though technically you won't watch a film, you'll watch from a digital video disc :) Having said that, why would you get in the trouble of ordering a physical medium, wait for it to come, then need to store etc while you could simply stream from something like Stremio it if you don't mind "piracy" or buy it and stream it?

Don't want to derail but I'm somewhat smug that in Greece we still call cartoons "moving drawings", and cinema with its full name: Kinematograph (meaning "motion picture")
Karam, the simple answer is that buying a DVD costs me about £2, paying for a streaming service would probably cost me about £15 per month. I so rarely watch films that it is cheaper for me to buy the physical disc and can play it as and when I please....without having to rely on a third party like the internet to allow streaming.

If I subscribed to a streaming service, I would kind of feel obliged to watch any old tripe just to feel as though I'm getting my money's worth, best I stick to buying discs ;)

If I enjoy the DVD film then I'll keep it for watching again, if I don't enjoy it I send it to the local charity shop.

Oh, just to put you right on one matter, you say you don't technically watch a film....yes you do....according to the Oxford English Dictionary at least....my bold below....

film. noun.

sense 10.

a. A representation of a story or event recorded on film (sense 9) or, in later use, in digital form, and shown as moving images in a cinema or (latterly) on television, video, the internet, etc.; a motion picture, a movie.

Regards,

Jay.

PS: Kinematograph (meaning "motion picture"). Actually it translates as movement in writing, by the hand. The Greek termination graph was used to form adjectives, sometimes in the passive sense of ‘written’, e.g. αὐτόγραϕος written with one's own hand, χειρόγραϕος written with the hand; sometimes in the active sense, ‘that writes, delineates, or describes’, chiefly used absol. as nouns, ‘one who writes, delineates, or describes’: e.g. ζωγράϕος a painter from life, βιβλιογράϕος a writer of books, γεωγράϕος a delineator of the earth, a geographer.

Last edited:

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Karam, the simple answer is that buying a DVD costs me about £2, paying for a streaming service would probably cost me about £15 per month. I so rarely watch films that it is cheaper for me to buy the physical disc and can play it as and when I please....without having to rely on a third party like the internet to allow streaming.

If I subscribed to a streaming service, I would kind of feel obliged to watch any old tripe just to feel as though I'm getting my money's worth, best I stick to buying discs ;)

If I enjoy the DVD film then I'll keep it for watching again, if I don't enjoy it I send it to the local charity shop.

Oh, just to put you right on one matter, you say you don't technically watch a film....yes you do....according to the Oxford English Dictionary at least....my bold below....

film. noun.

sense 10.

a. A representation of a story or event recorded on film (sense 9) or, in later use, in digital form, and shown as moving images in a cinema or (latterly) on television, video, the internet, etc.; a motion picture, a movie.

Regards,

Jay.

PS: Kinematograph (meaning "motion picture"). Actually it translates as movement in writing, by the hand. The Greek termination graph was used to form adjectives, sometimes in the passive sense of ‘written’, e.g. αὐτόγραϕος written with one's own hand, χειρόγραϕος written with the hand; sometimes in the active sense, ‘that writes, delineates, or describes’, chiefly used absol. as nouns, ‘one who writes, delineates, or describes’: e.g. ζωγράϕος a painter from life, βιβλιογράϕος a writer of books, γεωγράϕος a delineator of the earth, a geographer.
Hah I got schooled (I am Greek by the way). You are right, in it’s core it does mean moving+written, but the meaning of “γραφω” got expanded over time to cover painting (among other aspects). As for film and watching it, i was being intentionally pedantic saying you will watch a dvd and not an actual film.

Reactions: mawnansmiff