PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 10, 2018
Just so you all know sparked up the new pipe with some P23 burley and black and was a great smoke. Yes to slightly woody but not unpleasantly so. Nice draw and good burn.

The pipe looks to have had its p-lip just ground down (it just has a round hole at the end of the stem)....which honestly I found most enjoyable as I often have mixed feelings about the p-lip I own. Will give the pipe a rest now and try her again in a few days. Lets just say I have great expectations for this pipe.

Thanks to all for their input really helped me put all the new pipe old wifes tales to bed!

Reactions: Dave4211

tenfiver

Lurker
Nov 13, 2018
Like everybody has said, it's all personal preference. I don't think there's any method that is a make or break deal. My ritual consists of smoking full bowls of Carter Hall or the good Prince for awhile until the pipe starts taking on a bit of cake. After a bowl, I might shake/rub ash into the bowl on occasion. Then I just smoke it as normal.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

A dozen 3/4 bowls of Carter Hall... or anything anyway you want of course. :puffpipe:

Aug 14, 2012
Prop it up, fill bowl with brandy or scotch or bourbon. When it evaporates and is soaked in, do it again. Then let pipe dry and fill 1/3 and smoke slowly. Let dry a few days and fill 1/2. Gradually get up to a full bowl. When it starts to taste good, it is broken in.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Foggy, is the alcohol seasoning the briar for taste rather than heat protection? If so this would seem only a short-term measure; that is, can you still taste such seasoning 6-12 mos. later.

Some guys say that they detest the taste of the first few smokes, but I rather enjoy it. It will be your first taste of the aroma of the pipe. Later, after the so called "breaking in," you don't notice it as distinctly as you do in the first few smokes. But, it gives the pipe a chance to get into your DNA.

All briar pipes have an aroma that they add to the smoke, but after you are acclimated to it, you never notice it much again. So, this "breaking in" gives you the best opportunity to know what flavor your pipe is going to add to the smoke. YMMV

Status
Not open for further replies.