PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Charlie718

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2021
Bronx, New York
The microwave is your friend. I just smoked a bowl of 2018 MF and it was moist to the touch. 12 seconds in the microwave and about 10 minutes in front of an air conditioner duct and it was perfect.
Good to know, if it’s still to moist when I get home I’ll nuke it. Did you do it to a flake or some you had rubbed out?

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
Good to know, if it’s still to moist when I get home I’ll nuke it. Did you do it to a flake or some you had rubbed out?
I had part of a flake. I cut it in small ribbon lengths and rubbed it out a little. I have been buying Marlin Flake by the pound and find that one long flake is usually too much for even my larger pipes.

• Haha
Reactions: Charlie718

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I’m a big fan of Marlin Flake, and HOTW is up there for me too. I’m stocked up on both, and have been long enough to have some 5 and 6 year old batches of both. They keep me very happy. I’ve never tried Old Gowrie or Brown Clunee and I don’t think I want to; ignorance is bliss.

Western Isles

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2021
Tennessee
I am a devotee of the Rattray line, and enjoy the distinctives of each of their Virginias. That includes poor Brown Clunee which seems to get left out rather often. The short and very inexact description for me is Old Gowrie = oaty, Hal o' the Wynd = spicy, Marlin Flake = creamy, and Brown Clunee = sugary. My preference tends to waver between the first two.

I have to say, though, that recent tins have seemed to mute the differences between these blends. I had thought that perhaps my palate was becoming less sensitive, but another poster has suggested that K&K has upped the proportion of Dark Fired Kentucky in all of these. If indeed that is the case, what a shame. It’s as if the recording industry decided to replace the Andrews Sisters with CGI triplets for consistency’s sake!

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Old Gowrie and HOTW are two of my favorites. Brown Clunee is okay but compared to other Virginia blends, not memorable at all, at least to me. I'm not a big Perique fan so Marlin Flake didn't appeal to me much. Should smoke some of it with age, might change my opinion. Smoking a tin of 2015 OG right now, it is marvelous.