PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

drcarlo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 31, 2013
7 Reserve is excellent, however, I find it a little boring over time. The latakia is dominating the favour without being too strong.
Red Rapparee is my favourite. The orientals dominate, but the latskia is there balancing the wonderful orientals. Try it!

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Papipeguy, thanks I knew it likely wasn't bourbon, but a I couldn't think of the cognac dressing. Kashmir, I too love Bagpiper's Dream and have 3 100gm tins in my meagre cellar. It will interesting to hear your opinion on that blend.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Well, just my luck. When I got there, there was no Bagpiper's Dream to be found. The clerk must have misunderstood my phone call from the previous day. So, instead, I picked me up some Black Mallory and a tin of Red Rapparee. Just had a bowl of each. Hmmm. High quality leaf. First impressions are similar to Lat blends from C&D, like Red Odessa and Star of the East. I can see and taste the Scottish Black Cavendish in both, reminiscent of Dunhill's 965 Cavendish. I'll need to spend some time with both tins, before arriving at definitive conclusions. But definitely quality leaf; taste and presentation superb as well.

lraisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 4, 2011
Granite Falls, Washington state
I have been enjoying 7 Reserve that I have cellared for 5 to 7 years. It is quite mild and slightly sweeter than say, Squadron Leader, but otherwise similar. I have some Black Mallory and Jock's Mixture and also Red Raparee aging right now but I have yet to open any of them.
As for the Virginia blends, I have tried HOTW and Brown Clunee as well as Old Gowrie and personally I prefer Samuel Gawith's Best Brown Flake.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Here's my review on Rattray's Red Rapparee on Tobacco Reviews. As is evident, I'm begining to really like this blend.
Rattray's Red Rapparee does indeed contain Latakia. This is the blurb that accompanies the tin on the little round booklet: "A charming, perfectly balanced dark mixture of Virginia tobaccos, Orientals, Black Cavendish and a luxurious quantity of Latakia. The ash is pale grey and similar to that of a good cigar. A wonderful spicy mixture". Note: RRR does NOT contain cigar leaf, but DOES contain a "luxurious quantity of Latakia". Hope this clarifies things for all those preceding reviewers who detect cigar leaf, or who detect Latakia but are surprised it is not listed by Tobacco Reviews above in the blend composition. Typo I presume. I have gone through the better part of a 100g tin now, and, being a certified Latakiophile, I think I've found my Holy Grail. I consume a pound a month of Star of the East and Westminster. Also quite a bit of London Mixture. And I clench pipe and sip slowly for a flavorful cool smoulder. RRR does not disappoint. The addition of Scottish Cavendish to RRR reminds me a bit of Dunhill's 965, but here the flavors are much more pronounced than in 965. I can see a slight lineage to Black Mallory, but RRR has a greater Oriental component to it. Shades of chocolate covered salty pretzel indeed, as previously stated. Add to that a dollop of saddle leather and beef jerkey and at a slow cadence this blend really sings. No diminution as the bowl progresses either. The blend holds its flavor profile strongly all the way to its ashy end at bowl's bottom. A word of caution, this blend is very pipe sensitive. I've found the best results in narrow billiard and chimneys, about group 3 to 4 in size. Wide pots do this blend a disservice. The slower the smoking cadence the stronger the flavor profile here. A very fine blend. Can't wait to see how it ages. A four star recommendation.

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Marlin Flake was one of the first tobaccos I bought. Been missing it since then. It is a gem.

drcarlo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 31, 2013
@kashmir
Nice review. Very interesting to read what others think of this all time favourite mixture of mine.
My opinion is that the Latakia is secondary here. Secondary to the Orientals in flavour. I find the Latakia to balance out the Orientals.
Have you given 7 Reserve a try? IMO, the taste of Latakia is more pronounced in 7R compared to RR. What do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.