PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

f(x)

Lurker
Feb 12, 2023
Niagara Frontier
I just purchased my first Rattray's pipe, a Sanctuary Light, and I'm very pleased and excited! I purchased it from one of the site sponsors at a very reasonable price, and I paid much less than what I've paid for other pipes. The pipe is of high quality, handsome, and of perfect weight, but my only complaint is that it's a filter pipe. LOL! It's not the only filter pipe in my collection, I just don't use any filters. Shout out to Rattray's! I'm planning on adding many more to the stable! Thanks!!!

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I just purchased my first Rattray's pipe, a Sanctuary Light, and I'm very pleased and excited! I purchased it from one of the site sponsors at a very reasonable price, and I paid much less than what I've paid for other pipes. The pipe is of high quality, handsome, and of perfect weight, but my only complaint is that it's a filter pipe. LOL! It's not the only filter pipe in my collection, I just don't use any filters. Shout out to Rattray's! I'm planning on adding many more to the stable! Thanks!!!
Glad to hear it! Post a picture when you can.

Maierar

Lurker
Sep 9, 2019
I hope your luck with Ratray’s is better than mine. I had a bowl crack which is irreparable (according to 2 pros) and never heard back from them when I emailed for advice. Pipe was under 2 years old.

• Sad
Reactions: f(x) and AroEnglish

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Philadelphia Suburbs, Pennsylvania
..., but my only complaint is that it's a filter pipe....

It's only a filter pipe if you leave or put a filter in there. ;)

When I got my first Rattray as a gift - a Good Deal 99 - I had no idea there was a 9mm filter in there, until I went to clean it.
Blockade_Runner.jpg

That little 4" pipe is one of my very best and favorite smokers, and has never had a filter in it since I tossed out the original filter that came with the pipe.

Today, I am waiting on delivery - should be here before 3pm - of it's bigger 5" cousin, a Rattray Distillery 107; which if this pipe - which will be my 2nd Rattray - smokes even 1/2 as good as the little Rattray 99 shown above, I am going to be one happy camper into the evening.
Rattray_Bigger.jpg

A pipe made in Germany with a Scotsman's name on it... Sounds just like my family heritage. No wonder Rattray has worked so unbelievably well for me so far :LOL: - Sherm Natman

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
It's only a filter pipe if you leave or put a filter in there. ;)

When I got my first Rattray as a gift - a Good Deal 99 - I had no idea there was a 9mm filter in there, until I went to clean it.
View attachment 209828

That little 4" pipe is one of my very best and favorite smokers, and has never had a filter in it since I tossed out the original filter that came with the pipe.

Today, I am waiting on delivery - should be here before 3pm - of it's bigger 5" cousin, a Rattray Distillery 107; which if this pipe - which will be my 2nd Rattray - smokes even 1/2 as good as the little Rattray 99 shown above, I am going to be one happy camper into the evening.
View attachment 209829

A pipe made in Germany with a Scotsman's name on it... Sounds just like my family heritage. No wonder Rattray has worked so unbelievably well for me so far :LOL: - Sherm Natman
My understanding is that Rattray's are made somewhere in France ,most probably by Chacom but them headquarters are based in Germany.

Maierar

Lurker
Sep 9, 2019
Here’s my last Ratray’s

Attachments

• 7B5BA404-3386-4EBF-B039-C6D9B6DD6F51.jpeg
    7B5BA404-3386-4EBF-B039-C6D9B6DD6F51.jpeg
    38.8 KB · Views: 12
  • Wow
Reactions: f(x)

Maierar

Lurker
Sep 9, 2019
Retailer referred me to their repairman who said "replace it". Ratray's never responded to emails asking for advice.

• Sad
Reactions: f(x)

f(x)

Lurker
Feb 12, 2023
Niagara Frontier
Yeah that’s awful on both the retailer and the manufacturer. Glad to know I won't need to buy a Rattray's.
I have this new pipe and it seems to be of quality, but time will tell.

Even though there are those out there that don't have kind feelings for Petersons I do own a bunch of them. I've had a few duds, but Peterson was sympathetic and stood behind their product and replaced them.

Reactions: AroEnglish

minerLuke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 2, 2023
Vancouver BC
Wow! I'm sorry to see that happened to your Rattrays pipe!

I have a few Rattrays pipes and my pair of Harpoon Canadians (Black and Red blast) are probably my best two smokers out of my collection of about 50 pipes including Dunhills, Upshalls, and higher end Savinellis and Stanwells. I bought the pair of them out of the UK last year when the £ was weaker (Thanks Liz!) and they were an absolute steal for what I paid and how well they smoke.