Rattrays .Hal o the wynd/ perique or not?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bowhatchie

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 27, 2010
I like this tobacco and smoke it often... if one goes to tobacco review you will note that it says..under blend notes.. that KK&CO. the blender states... Ky-VA- and perique.

many of the reviews talk about the Perique..... but the tin description says...a straight VA... so Perique... yes or no?

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
If there's Perique in it, then it's scant indeed.

I'd like to see a disclosure on this blend's components.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I can swear that I detect NO Perique in it at all.

I think, and believe that any mention of Perique in Hal O' The Wynd is a mistake of biblical proportion, or a joke by someone who needs to... Oh never mind.
Two reasons for my statement.

1) The appearance and consistent brown color of the blend shows no perique at all. Perique is black... duh. :crazy:

2) As someone who loves Perique blends; have never detected any of the unique Perique flavor in my favorite tinned tobacco (that being Rattray's Hal O' The Wynd).
In my humble opinion.

:puffpipe:

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
The master of Virginas . The black you see is stoved and pressed Virginia ,the other is jet black Cavendish the lighter tan is red Virginia , a touch of perique . That being said no makes a better press and stoved Virginia . To the point it mimics perique . IMHO .The Marlin flake has touch and kiss more perique . I notice in older tins that there is no perique , but taste it in the newer tins 2009 and up . The longer the black VA ages the more pepper flavor it takes on .

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
That being said no makes a better press and stoved Virginia.

Igloo is that "none"?
Unfortuneately I have no Hal O' The Wynd that isn't designated for my cellar. I wanted to purchase a tin during my last visit to The Briary. So, I cannot look at the tobacco. I don't remember anything in its appearance that would suggest any Perique.

I wish I could smoke a bowl of it now so I could concentrate for purpose of Perique detection.

But, I have never noticed/detected any Perique before.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
In theory -- mine, that is -- the Perique should work so closely with the other tobaccos that it won't stand out. It's there to harmonize.

Despite what's omitted from the tin description, the Kohlhase & Kopp website, as Bob noted in the initial post, says of Hal O'The Wynd:
Fire-cured Kentucky, Virginia and Perique were combined here, pressed into flakes and rubbed by hand.
If that's not authoritative then I don't know what it will take to convince the skeptic.

bowhatchie

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 27, 2010
Thanks all for the debate and comments...I guess at the end of the day... the answer is..

Smoke it if you like it and don't worry about it!! It does seem though to be a bit of a mystery, and who among us does not like an occasional who done it, to solve.

scotsjim

Lurker
Jan 27, 2011
This is one of my very favourite tobaccos. Just thought I'd mention that :D
Regards,

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.