PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
I’ve been wanting to try this blend for a couple years and it always seems to be out of stock everywhere. Has this blend been discontinued, or maybe I just have bad timing? I’ve also seen it called Exotic Orange… not sure if it’s different, or just relabeled.

A47722F2-600F-4934-BDBA-ED32214ABD9B.jpeg

raybrown55

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 5, 2017
Very good aromatic and surely not discontinued, I buy it from time to time in Switzerland, where it's always available...

Reactions: STP and JOHN72

Sir Yak

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 15, 2022
Arkansas
I’ve been wanting to try this blend for a couple years and it always seems to be out of stock everywhere. Has this blend been discontinued, or maybe I just have bad timing? I’ve also seen it called Exotic Orange… not sure if it’s different, or just relabeled.

View attachment 138063
Just renamed due to rules regarding flavorings I think. Still in production. I’ve come across it a time or two in recent years but have never bought any. I usually don’t like aros so I’ve never been willing to spend the $ on this one. It seems to have quite a following though.

Reactions: STP and pappymac

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Esterval's usually has in in stock.
It's was one of my favorite aromatics until last year when I found a blend I like better. I still smoke it often and have about 200g in my cellar.

Most of Rattray's aromatics are made by Kohlhase & Kopp and there are several others that I personally like like Caribbean Dream and Blossom Temptation.

Reactions: anotherbob and STP

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Yup as above, tasty, still available, sells out quickly.

If you find some jar it immediately as it’s not sealed just wrapped in a plastic sleeve inside the tin.

Reactions: STP

MarcosEZLN

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 20, 2021
Birch Bay, WA, USA
Have you ever ordered from Esterval's in Germany? They currently have it in stock but unless you're making a big order (great savings on Capstan and Salty Dogs) the shipping is prohibitively expensive. That said, while some people like Exotic Passion it's the most disgusting blend I ever smoked. It tastes like equal parts orange cough syrup and potpourri candle. I made it about half a bowl into the 2 tins I purchased and subsequently traded them.

Reactions: STP

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
That said, while some people like Exotic Passion it's the most disgusting blend I ever smoked.
They've done something to it. When it was Exotic Orange my wife bought me ten tins of it back in 2017. Love the stuff, but since the name change, the flavor is completely off.

Reactions: STP and MarcosEZLN

MarcosEZLN

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 20, 2021
Birch Bay, WA, USA
They've done something to it. When it was Exotic Orange my wife bought me ten tins of it back in 2017. Love the stuff, but since the name change, the flavor is completely off.
Interesting, that's a shame. With most blends I can at least imagine how other people might like them but the tin I tried (post name change) was like huffing an off brand air freshener. Very synthetic, old lady bathroom vibe, and I'm even a fan of strong Lakelands.

cohibajoe

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 2, 2018
Branchburg, NJ
Interesting, that's a shame. With most blends I can at least imagine how other people might like them but the tin I tried (post name change) was like huffing an off brand air freshener. Very synthetic, old lady bathroom vibe, and I'm even a fan of strong Lakelands.
Speaking of "Old Lady" items that my Grandma had in her purse.

Violet.png

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Have you ever ordered from Esterval's in Germany? They currently have it in stock but unless you're making a big order (great savings on Capstan and Salty Dogs) the shipping is prohibitively expensive. That said, while some people like Exotic Passion it's the most disgusting blend I ever smoked. It tastes like equal parts orange cough syrup and potpourri candle. I made it about half a bowl into the 2 tins I purchased and subsequently traded them.
Define prohibitively. My recent order was for 14 tins and 6 pouches. The shipping charge was $44. That breaks down to less than $3 per tin. Total order with shipping was only $245.

MarcosEZLN

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 20, 2021
Birch Bay, WA, USA
Define prohibitively. My recent order was for 14 tins and 6 pouches. The shipping charge was $44. That breaks down to less than $3 per tin. Total order with shipping was only $245.
unless you're making a big order (great savings on Capstan and Salty Dogs) the shipping is prohibitively expensive.
I just meant that he'd want to order more than a tin or two of Exotic Passion, as the minimum shipping charge is around that $40 mark you mentioned. That's why I recommended some blends with good savings to round out an order. Esterval's is great if you're ok dropping a couple hundred bucks but $40 shipping on a couple of tins is silly, unless you have to have them.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I just meant that he'd want to order more than a tin or two of Exotic Passion, as the minimum shipping charge is around that $40 mark you mentioned. That's why I recommended some blends with good savings to round out an order. Esterval's is great if you're ok dropping a couple hundred bucks but $40 shipping on a couple of tins is silly, unless you have to have them.
I see what you mean and agree. Buying four or five tins wouldn't be worth the cost.
Buying 10 - 15 tins brings the pure tin cost of shipping way down.