PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
I’ve been eyeing said flake up for many months. I finally started cellaring in earnest, and saw some come available recently and got 2 square tins (all that tobaccopipes.com had left) and 5 round tins from SP. SP still had some as of this morning...

So, sing me songs of your love for this flake. Or tell me how much it disgusts you, either way. Does it boast aging potential? Also, any difference between square and round tins?

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
I don't just dig it, I love it. I have only two tins ageing but I think it has big ageing potential. I've smoked through a few tins and I find it has a nice balance of burley and Virginia. The plum topping is subtle but appreciated when it comes through. I have only the square tins.

Reactions: mtwaller
P

pipebuddy

It's actually University Flake, that was then made by Rattray (but subcontracted to Orlik as K & K does not have the equipment to make flakes) and when they lost the production rights to Mac Baren they gave it a new name under the Rtattray family.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
I didn’t realize the two were one and the same, or nearly so. I’d heard the topping on University Flake was more of a berry. I’ll have to try a tin of it once I’ve gotten my head around Wallace Flake and see if they taste the same. Rattray’s specifically mentions Dark Fired, whereas Peterson just says Burley... I had assumed University would be perhaps more smooth and nutty while Wallace would have a bit of spice. I generally love Dark Fired blends so I gravitated towards the Rattray’s. It would be great if University Flake tastes the same or better, it’s slightly easier to find these days.

Reactions: pipebuddy

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I enjoy it once in a blue moon, like @pipebuddy said, UF & WF are essentially the same. I like it when I’m in the mood for blueberry pancakes as that’s what it reminds me of. Especially blueberry pancakes from a late night Waffle House in the smoking section (when that existed).

Reactions: pipebuddy

brooklynpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2018
when I’m in the mood for blueberry pancakes as that’s what it reminds me of. Especially blueberry pancakes from a late night Waffle House in the smoking section (when that existed).
That comparison sounds awful sweet. How strong is the topping, guys?

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I've never tried WF but I've smoked a lot of UF over the years (although not so much recently).

To me the topping is not strong, but it's not subtle either. But I do think it was more subtle on the original blend the way I remember it.

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
I'm not an aromatic fan, but I really enjoy UF. I've never had WF.

UF wouldn't be a daily for me, but I do enjoy a tin from time to time. I don't think the topping is too strong. It's there, but not the major player.

Last edited:

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Totally agree with Harris. For a bit of time, all one could get was Wallace Flake so I stocked up on it. Quite a tasty blend with some age on it. Too me, the plum taste is in the background.

Reactions: seanv

whitebar

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 12, 2015
Colorado
I just smoked a bowl out of a tin dated January 2016 and found it to be quite tasty. The fruit note was present but stayed mostly in the background.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
My tins are waiting on me at home but I’m traveling all week and won’t get to try for another 2 or 3 days. The wait is killing me.

Status
Not open for further replies.